Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Turkey, Ham or Something Else?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:

What do you serve for your Thanksgiving Meal?
Have you ever made a tofu turkey? Do you fry a turkey?

What's your favorite recipe for the main course on Thanksgiving day?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Chris,
I roast a whole turkey. Once it's thawed I loosen the skin around the "neck end" run my hands up under it until it leaves pockets across the breast area without poking holes through it. Then I mix a stick of butter with italian seasoning mix and kinda squish it into the breast pockets. I then fold the neck end back down, tent the roasting pan with aluminum foil, NOT a tight seal, then roast at 350 till done. It always comes out beautifully browned and crispy on the outside and extremely moist all through the meat.
ALSO I never EVER stuff the dressing into the turkey cavity as the bread absorbs the moisture out of the turkey meat and the whole thing just gets dry dry dry.

butterflygarden responded:
If we make turkey everyone in my house fights over the dark meat. LOL.

But, we all love ham, so that's usually what I make for Thanksgiving dinner. I settle on the pineapple rings with toothpicks and then glaze the ham with a brown sugar/honey concoction. I don't use a recipe really, so it's hard to share it. I'll see if I can think about how much of this and that to add.

After I glaze the ham, I go back and pat brown sugar onto the top of the ham, so that when it cooks it bakes on a sweet crust along with the glaze.

Butterfly

rohvannyn replied to butterflygarden's response:
Turkey, the biggest we can find that will fit in the oven. My spouse likes to inject the meat with white wine and melted butter and stuck garlic cloves into slits in the breast. This year we will go light on the mashed potatoes, putting new blue potatoes alongside the bird instead. I may roast some radishes too if I get wild.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

butterflygarden replied to rohvannyn's response:
I've never tried roasted radishes! That sounds really interesting. Will have to try that.

Butterfly

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 84 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.