Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Salt Free Diet
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I need to lighten up on the salt, I really do.

What are some of your favorite spices you use in lieu of salt? I need to get more creative with my spices and herbs.
Any ideas?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

totallywiggedout responded:
I had to watch my sodium too, so I started experimenting. I tend to like curry alot, especially now that true Fall/Winter is upon us. I have found combos of curry with coconut(flakes or coconut water) and /or curry with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice make excellant additions to homemade creamy pumpkin or squash or sweet potatoe soups, and also in homemade crispy coatings for oven crisped chicken tenders, or on pork loin chops or even beef cutlets.
Italian seasoning mixes mingle well with a finishing splash of lemon or lime juice
and that homemade concoctions for mexican spices or chili seasonings go a long way toward getting lower sodium
IF you absolutely have to add some salt to perk up the taste of things, Use Morton Light Salt which tastes pretty close to reg table salt but only has 1/2 the sodium content per serving.
kim

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim thank you so much! I don't use enough curry, I need to experiment with it, I really do.

Your ideas sound wonderful and I did know about that salt, I had forgotten all about the light version. I need just a little in my eggs, I miss salt there the most.

I'm going to try that crispy coating, thanks again, you rock!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

totallywiggedout replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Chris, I just read in some magazine a couple of months ago that we should NEVER add salt to any foods until they have cooled down a bit. Since sodium is tasted mostly on the tip or front part of the tongue, if you desensitize your tongue by buning it on hot foods first you cant really tell how salty a food really is.
Eggs are my downfall too. For some reason they just beg for salt. When eating hard boiled eggs, try eating them with a few green olives, just take a bite of egg then a bite of olive, SUPER great I tell you!
Also instead of salt in scrambled try some capers, just a few and it'll make all the difference in the world. Without salt.
I am linking the 50-100 weightloss site's recipe discussion, save it because it grows around the holidays as more "tried" recipes come in.
Most of us over there watch fats and Sodium content and some may appeal to you. My crispy tenders are in there.
Hope you visit and like em

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

butterflygarden responded:
Mrs Dash makes tons of great salt-free spice choices, and they are fabulous!

But, I prefer just using fresh herbs that I grow in pots on my pool deck. Fresh herbs are more pungent, so you don't have to use as much to get the flavor bang.

For instance, I mix my fresh rosemary, minced garlic (doesn't have to be fresh), black pepper and olive oil for a wonderful rub to put on salmon. It's yummy.

Right now, I am growing: rosemary, basil, thyme, two types of curry, chives, marjoram, two types of oregano and three types of mint.

Butterfly

EricE_MA replied to totallywiggedout's response:
"When eating hard boiled eggs, try eating them with a few green olives, just take a bite of egg then a bite of olive,"

Keep in mind olives are very high in sodium. "A few olives" could easily have more sodium than a sprinkle of salt.

rohvannyn replied to EricE_MA's response:
Same with capers. Anything pickled is quite high in salt because it's part of the preservation process. Great for taste, though, if you aren't worried about sodium!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to rohvannyn's response:
Gosh Rohvannyn, I think I'm worried about everything I eat now. UGH age!
Thank you all for the help!
Chrissy~

Virginia Woolf

rohvannyn replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
I hear ya. Though, if you cut out the processed foods and cut down on other salty products, that gives you a little "sprinkle room" for when you really want salt. Spicy foods (especially homemade ones so you can limit the sodium) help satisfy. Also, just using less salt habitually helps. You already know the "salt after tasting" trick I'm sure. Some people use potassium in place of salt for cooking as well. Good luck with everything!
Roh

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Oh, completely forgot to include my favorite spices... garlic is good, especially powdered garlic. Nutritional yeast is also good but you need to experiment with it, because it's such a mild taste. Lime and cilantro and tomato are nice too. Of course, much depends on what you are cooking. Herbed vinegar can be good, especially if you make your own, or herbed olive oil- great herbs for that are basil, oregano, thyme, savory spices like that.

Yes, I like to experiment.
Roh

danr1951 responded:
If you don't mind the "heat", you might find chipotle powder as a nice addition. It provides a smoky flavor along with its spiciness.

Claire3450 replied to danr1951's response:
There are many types of pepper available to try. Cayenne is hot, but adds flavor and healthy benefits. Also do try the Mrs. Dash spices.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.