Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Recipe Swap: Thanksgiving Day Side Dishes!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What's your favorite side dish to serve for the Holiday? Be it vegetables or potatoes, share your favorite side dish recipes here!

Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
During Thanksgiving weekend I usually serve leftovers and add some new sides to the mix to make the dinner feel more new than "leftover".

Here's my addition after Thanksgiving, but it would work for that day as well!

Ingredients (6-oz.) packages long-grain and wild rice mix 3 tablespoons butter 1 large sweet onion, diced 12 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup Marsala 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
  1. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute 7 minutes or until golden. Add mushrooms and salt; saute 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add Marsala, and saute 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir mushroom mixture and parsley into prepared rice.
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

rohvannyn replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
My favorite way to make mashed potatoes (this is a once a year only thing) is as follows: Boil red potatoes. Brown or purple will work too. Boil the hell out of them, until they are mushy. Drain most of the liquid off and save for soups. During last five minutes of cooking, drop in several cloves of peeled garlic so that they soften but don't lose all their flavor. Put the potatoes and garlic cloves through an old fashioned Foley food mill so that most of the peel is caught and it's a finely textured mash.

If you don't have a food mill, mash them with the butt of a glass coke bottle or other heavy duty bottle. The bottom of a heavy duty plastic container is good for this. Mix the mashed potatoes with good amounts of butter, sour cream, black pepper, garlic powder, and a little salt. Make sure it's all well blended.

This year I probably won't make this recipe so I hope someone else can use it.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

butterflygarden responded:
One of my favorite side dishes is Brussels Sprouts with Carmelized Onions and Bacon Bits. It's also really easy to do.

Buy a package of fresh sprouts, wash thoroughly, then remove the bad leaves from the outside.

Cut off the bottoms and slice each sprout into four wedges.

Chop one small sweet onion. Cook two slices of bacon to crisp.

Saute the onion in about a tablespoon of olive oil (on medium heat) until nicely carmelized (slightly brown and nutty smelling). Add one-half piece of bacon, broken into bits, and stir in for flavor.

Then, add the sprout wedges and saute until some browning around the edges.

Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with the rest of the bacon, broken in to bits.

Enjoy!
Butterfly

LewLew46 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Yup...sounds de-lish! I make "Party Potatoes"...sour cream, cream cheese, butter, and garlic, maybe a bit of grated cheese on top. All the usual suspects in regards to fat, salt, and carbs. But, maybe not this year. Gotta keep the A1c in line. But I'll miss it for sure

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.