Recipe Swap: Food Gift Giving
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What homemade foods do you give for gifts at holiday time?
Breads, cookies, chocolates?

What do you make and give?
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

jis4judy responded:
when I bake Cookies for the Christmas holiday I give a bag of them to the mailman thats the only food gift I do
Hugs Judy:)

rohvannyn responded:
I've made bread or cookies before, and my folks make fruitcakes each year. One of the most fun things I've made for a gift is custom cocoa mix. You take a can of baking cocoa, add dried milk, sweetner (sugar or stevia) and spices of your choice such as cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, chinese five spice, nutmeg, cloves, etc. A fun addition is a little cayenne for those who like chocolate with pepper in it. It's good!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh what a great idea!! Love this, and you can pair it with cookies or some tea or add to a basket of other goodies.

Thank you for sharing, both of you!!
Chrissy~

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Virginia Woolf

susie469 responded:
I make several batches of "Elephant Toes", package them in a holiday container, preferably one that is reusable in the kitchen or for other purpose and put a bow on it. I tie on to the bow a very short note with the recipe (so they can re-make or to check for allergies) and our name and Christmas wishes.
I give these to the neighbors on our cul-de-sac, the mailman, piano teacher, anyone I want to remember with a small gift. It's very easy and very popular with most people.

Elephant toes:
1 Package Oyster Crackers (12 — 16 ounces)
1 Small Pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (dry mix)
1 Tbsp Dill Weed
1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
3/4 C Mazola Oil
Mix ingredients together. Let stand, covered and stir 4 times in an hour.
One batch equals 2-3 portions, depending on how large you want to make each gift.