Help regarding low sodium diet needed
missjennifer1966 posted:
Hi. I went to the ER a few days ago because my blood pressure was 150/110. I had just gotten through doing 20 minutes of Tae Bo but did not tell the ER doctor this as I did not realize it had anything to do with the high blood pressure. They upped my clonidine. I was only taking 0.2 mg half twice a day to 1 whole pill in the morning and 1/2 at bedtime. I am trying to exercise and eat less sodium, but saw that the DASH diet was best for hypertension. My numbers have been running 110/70 the last few days. My question is, how do I know what to eat on that diet as some pages say no fruit at all and others say fruit is okay. I have to know exactly what is okay and what is not, and if it will help my hypertension. I am having a very hard time sticking to this low sodium diet as it is. I am very hungry and really craving salt. Also I was using the NuvaRing for heavy bleeding, but took it out as I was told this would help my blood pressure. Not sure if it did as I took it out on a Tuesday and went to the ER that Friday. Any help appreciated!

erice_ma responded:
The DASH diet definitely includes fruit.

Here is the official site for DASH.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/

There are a few off-shoots from it that might have questionable alterations.

kattys responded:
I would suggest you to switch to spring water if you are consuming normal tap water. Spring water is sodium free and is healthier.