Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Help regarding low sodium diet needed
missjennifer1966 posted:
Hi. I went to the ER a few days ago because my blood pressure was 150/110. I had just gotten through doing 20 minutes of Tae Bo but did not tell the ER doctor this as I did not realize it had anything to do with the high blood pressure. They upped my clonidine. I was only taking 0.2 mg half twice a day to 1 whole pill in the morning and 1/2 at bedtime. I am trying to exercise and eat less sodium, but saw that the DASH diet was best for hypertension. My numbers have been running 110/70 the last few days. My question is, how do I know what to eat on that diet as some pages say no fruit at all and others say fruit is okay. I have to know exactly what is okay and what is not, and if it will help my hypertension. I am having a very hard time sticking to this low sodium diet as it is. I am very hungry and really craving salt. Also I was using the NuvaRing for heavy bleeding, but took it out as I was told this would help my blood pressure. Not sure if it did as I took it out on a Tuesday and went to the ER that Friday. Any help appreciated!

EricE_MA responded:
The DASH diet definitely includes fruit.

Here is the official site for DASH.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/

There are a few off-shoots from it that might have questionable alterations.

kattys responded:
I would suggest you to switch to spring water if you are consuming normal tap water. Spring water is sodium free and is healthier.

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.