Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Keeping on Weight as a Vegetarian/Vegan
Joelle33 posted:
Hello! My family and I transitioned into a vegetarian/mostly vegan diet a few months ago - it's going very well, we all feel a lot healthier and I've learned lots about cooking. But I've always had difficulty keeping on weight and since we began I've lost quite a bit that I can't really afford to lose, especially with spring/summer more activities and exercise coming. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to maintain or add weight as a Vegetarian/Vegan?
Thanks!

EricE_MA responded:
Grains, nuts, and oils are all calorically dense.

rohvannyn responded:
Avocado is great. Healthy fats in it, and lots of nutrition. Have you tried sesame oil? It's really tasty and lends a nice roasted flavor. Not just nuts, but nut butters are nice. How about a smoothie with cashew butter and banana with almond milk? If you get a food processor, you can make your own nut butters. Of course, carbs help pack on the pounds too, so don't forget your rice noodles, bean noodles, etc. I mention these because everybody already knows about bread and potatoes and normal sources of carbohydrates.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

PetuniaPea responded:
Agree with all the posts.

Just wanted to add that I'm vegan too, and I keep my weight on by having a half or whole avocado on most days (of course there are times when I don't go shopping, so I may not have avocado for a few days straight). Add avocado to green smoothies, have a few slices with dinner, add cubed avocado in a Mexican-inspired dish.

I also keep on weight by having 1-2 ounces of nuts per day. Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, and cashews are my faves!

Try seeds! An ounce or two will help you keep your weight on. Pumpkin seeds (pepitas), or sunflower seeds! Peruse the aisle at Trader Joe's for a wide variety of nuts and seeds. Have them plain, add them to salads or quinoa dishes!

Good luck!

rohvannyn replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Oh yeah... how about coconut oil! It can be spread on things, added to things, it has a light taste and it's great for your skin and hair. Coconut on it's own is nice too and has fat in it. PetuniaPea is totally right about the pumpkin seeds. You can even find hulled ones, which are awesome as a snack, in breads, in cakes, in soups, or in salads or quinoa or rice dishes, like she said!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

PetuniaPea replied to rohvannyn's response:
Glad you mentioned coconut oil!

I use it as a lotion, even apply it to my face and it doesn't cause acne. Occasionally will apply to dry hair (can apply heat if you want) and leave on for a while before washing it off with shampoo! Great, affordable, and you can eat it, too!

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 37 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.