Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Vegetarian vs. Carnivore--Need help/ideas with recipes!!
sheskrafty posted:
Here's my dilemma- I am a vegetarian, and I also don't eat any eggs or dairy milk. My better half, however, is not along for the ride with me on my meat-free diet. I am trying to think of ways to make the "same" meal for us every night, instead of cooking 2 seperate dishes, but I am slowly running out of ideas. For example, I'll make eggplant parmesean for myself, and chicken parmesean for him...or I'll make burgers and fries (regular meat for him, Boca/Veggie for myself)....does anyone have any good suggestions/ideas for me so I can cut my prep time in half? I have a handful of recipes that I can use for the both of us, but I'm taking suggestions..also, is anyone else in this situation? Where one of you is a meat eater and the other a veg? It seems to be getting harder as the days go by because it's so much work to please everyone- Thanks in advance for the comments and suggestions

rohvannyn responded:
You could do vegetable stir fry with meat on the side you add for him, or pasta with meatballs that you add to his half of the sauce, or a pizza with veggie toppings on one side and meat toppings on his. You could do a pita or sandwich bar and add cold cuts to his side of things. You could do big dinner salads with cut up meat for him. Also, you could bake chicken breasts or steak and cut it up, and have a container of meat pieces in the fridge that you just add to one of your normal meals so he has the meat.

Finally, if he barbecues, do kebabs... veggie and mushroom ones for you, and meat ones for him, and make him do the cooking! Good luck.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

sheskrafty replied to rohvannyn's response:
@Rohvannyn- thanks for the ideas! I have done the veggie pasta and the half and half pizza, but i like your stir fry suggestion--that sounds great! I like tofu in my stir fry too..yum I also like your idea of having meat in the fridge already prepped--thanks again!!

PetuniaPea responded:
Hi sheskrafty,

I'm in the same boat as you! I don't eat meat, eggs, or any dairy products. My hubby is an omnivore. I never make similar things to what I make him, though. I guess I never tried to because I'm not a big cook anyways, I "prepare" my dinners quite quickly.

I'll have a big batch of quinoa already cooked and stored in the fridge, so all I have to do for my dinner is heat up quinoa and beans (garbanzo, white, kidney, black, etc) and add raw or cooked veggies and possibly add salsa if I make a black bean and quinoa bowl. Yummy and takes 5 minutes to prepare: quinoa, black beans (heat it up), then add salsa and ripe, halved mini tomatoes and cubed avocado.

Other quick options I make for myself are veggie burgers (usually without soy...try Original Sunshine Burgers from Whole Foods), if I have soy veggie burgers I'll usually reach for Amy's gluten free soy burgers...both of the above are without the bun due to my gluten intolerance...no gluten for me...and I'll have veggies or homemade sweet potato fries on the side.

Amy's vegan gluten-free burritos are another quick and tasty option for me. Nuke the burrito, and add mini tomatoes and avocado slices on the side...it hits the spot.

One more thing that I make really quickly is a veggie and bean soup with your favorite base--veggie broth, tomato soup, or recently discovered sweet potato soup...season with your favorite herbs and spices, then add carrots, celery, other veggies, canned beans of your choice (or lentils...cook longer for 15-20 mins), and at the end, add in some kale or rainbow chard...pre-cut bags from Trader Joes makes this so easy! This soup is so beautiful and colorful...plus you're getting all your daily servings of veggies all at once!

So when you can't think of cooking the "same" meal every night, take it easy, make it simple, and use or modify any of the above! Good luck!

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.