Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Carbs and Diet Coke
An_251654 posted:
Hi, I am new to WebMD. I have had type 2 for 10 years, getting by with oral meds and I did my first insulin injection today. I was somewhat scared but it was fine.

How much carbs should I have each day? I LOVE diet coke and I drink coffee w/sweetner and half and half every morning.

I really need some advice.

Thanks!
Shellaa

rohvannyn responded:
Diet Coke is not supposed to affect your blood sugar, but it may have different effects on different people. Personally, I use stevia- it doesn't mess up my blood sugar and it doesn't taste bad. But Coke doesn't use it.

I don't know your personal carb target number, but I know that in general if you eat protein with carbs they are digested better. Avoiding refined sugar in large amounts is generally helpful too, and that does include honey. I personally do best when I avoid grains and white potatoes but I know that isn't for everyone.

You may find additional help at http://exchanges.webmd.com/diabetes-exchange if you haven't checked it out already.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

erice_ma responded:
If you are newly using insulin it is imperative that your medical care provider provide you with a referral to a certified diabetes educator who can address this question with you. It is a complex question that needs to take your individual needs into consideration. They need to take your medical history and more into account.

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.