Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

How is my nutrition?
rich2013 posted:
For the past week, I've decided to record everything I eat and drink. I'd like it if a nutrition expert could look it over and tell me how well I eat.

Before I paste the things I eat, let me tell you that I am a 26 year old skinny white male, 6 foot tall, around 145LB. I spend most of my time in front of a computer, but I go on bike rides and walks regularly.

What I've eaten:

---
May 9, 2013 (Thursday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee (Regular ground coffee + whole milk + Ovaltine chocolate milk mix)
-Large bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios (no milk)
-1 "One-a-Day" Men's Multivitamin Suppliment

Snack:
-oats and honey crunchy granala bar
-17oz bottle of water

Lunch:
-Glass of apple juice (from concentrate)
-3 plain bean burritos (1 can of refried beans, 3 tortillas)

Snack:
-12oz can of DrPepper
-17oz bottle of water

Dinner:
-a full-sized carrot
-Snack sized bag of Cheez-its
-17oz bottle of water

Summary:
I had a big breakfast and lunch, so I wasn't that hungry for dinner.
---

May 10, 2013 (Friday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee

Snack:
-17oz bottle of water

Lunch:
-Instant Ramen Noodles
-Can of Solid White Albacore

Snack:
-a small carrot
-17oz bottle of water

Dinner:
-Glass of apple juice
-3 small pieces of tri-tip steak
-small piece of brocolli
-biscuit
-large baked potato
-17oz bottle of water

Summary:
Pretty ordinary. My dad cooked dinner tonight.

---

May 11, 2013 (Saturday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee

Lunch:
-Dairy Queen
-3 piece chicken strips
-large order of french fries
-12oz Coke
-Strawberry sundae

Snack:
-23oz can of Arizona Green Tea Ginseng and Honey

Dinner:
-17oz bottle of water
-2 Peanut-Butter Sandwiches (smooth peanut butter + wheat sandwich bread)

Summary:
Went out and hung out with friends today, decided to eat at Dairy Queen. Got an Arizona Green Tea on the way home

---

May 12, 2013 (Sunday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee

Lunch:
-plain turkey sandwich (3 slices of turkey breast + wheat sandwich bread)
-carrot
-17oz bottle of water
-2 plain McDonald's chicken sandwiches

Snack:
-2 Little Debbie vanilla snack cakes

Dinner:
-Half of a small breast piece of grilled chicken
-Piece of warm french bread

Summary:
Wasn't planning on having the mcdonald's, but my dad brought it home for me. Didn't have much of an appetite for dinner.

---
May 13, 2013 (Monday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee
-Instant Ramen Noodles
-2 Cans of Solid White Albacore

Very late Lunch:
-2 plain home-made hamburgers (just meat and bun)
-17oz bottle of water
-2 Little Debbie vanilla snack cakes

"Dinner":
-Carrot
-17oz bottle of water
-two Peanut Butter Sandwiches (peanut butter + wheat sandwich bread)

Summary:
Ate a lot in the morning, didn't eat again for probably ~9 hours when I had burgers.

---
May 14, 2013 (Tuesday)

Breakfast:
-Mocha Iced Coffee

Here I am posting today.

EricE_MA responded:
I am a registered dietitian.

You had no fruit on your list. I recommend you rely more on fresh fruit for snacks rather than packaged foods, especially to displace sweet snacks like the cakes.

You have very few vegetables both in quantity and variety. Aim for much more vegetables. ~3.5 cups a day. Try including the carrots in your afternoon snacks, but have a different variety of vegetables at dinner. Try to consume about 3 cups a week of dark greens such as spinach, dark lettuces, and broccoli.

Try to consume much less sugary beverages and snacks. The recommended limit for *added* sugars is 25-30 grams a day. This does not include the sugars naturally in fruit or milk, only added sugars. An 8 oz soda already exceeds this goal: soda should only be a sometimes beverage.

Your sodium intake may be high from the fast food. Calcium appears probably low.

You would probably benefit from looking at the healthy food pattern at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/supertracker-tools/daily-food-plans.html . Depending on your activity level, you should probably choose the 2600 Calorie (more or less) food plan.

If you enter your daily intake into a tool like my http://www.choosemyplate.gov/supertracker-tools/supertracker.html or fitday.com, or myfitnesspal.com , it will help you to see what nutrients you are lacking.

cindigal replied to EricE_MA's response:
I was to respond about your fruit suggestion. I thought all along that fruit is the best thing to eat for the thing, and I still do. But here's one for you; I thought I was doing everything right until I went to the doctor yesterday .My weight is not where it should be. I eat mainly chicken, boneless, skinless, not fried. Alot of fruit and love smoothies,. you know what he said;."fruit is loaded with sugar and its the worst thing to eat when you want to lose weight. So I am perplexed. Should I forego the smoothie for now on because of the fruit.

cindigal

rohvannyn replied to cindigal's response:
It depends on how your body respends to fruit. True, fruit is loaded with sugar, which is what you want to limit when you are dieting, but not all fruits are created equal. In general go for more color in your diet when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Berries can be very good for you, pomegranates, small amounts of avocado, melon, things like that... but bananas will convert to sugar much more quickly in general. For example, I can have an apple without it messing with me too much (I'm rather sensitive to sugar) but must be careful with bananas. It's all in knowing how your body responds to what. Also, if you are eating the fruit instead of something with less nutrients in it, it still may be a better choice.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

EricE_MA replied to cindigal's response:
"Fruit is loaded with sugar" is a loaded statement.

It is true that the calories in fruit are basically all from sugar. In that sense, it is "loaded with sugar."

But to put fruit in the same lump as sugary junk foods is specious. First, compare the amount of sugar in fruit to the amount in soda. A typical serving of fruit is ~12 grams. A typical soda is 30-40 grams per serving. That's loaded with sugar. A typical donut can have ~20-40 grams of sugar plus an additional 20-40 grams of high glycemic starch. Furthermore, in fruit, the sugar is packaged in cells which slows its absorption, as opposed to foods with added sugars where it is free and readily absorbed. Consequently, compared to many carbohydrate foods, fruit has a relatively low glycemic index. (The sugar is absorbed gradually.) Fruit is also very nutritious for the calories. This is why moderate amounts of whole fruit are recommended as a standard part of a healthy diet and why we talk about limiting "added sugars" to distinguish them from the sugar intrinsic to fruit and milk.

On an 1800 Calorie diet, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends 1.5 cups of fruit/day. The Calories will be about 150. For that you get about 5 grams of fiber, 500 mg potassium, and many other vitamins and minerals. Claiming that fruit is "the worst food when trying to lose weight" is not very circumspect.

kattys responded:
I appreciate your diet. But since you work mostly on computer, I would suggest you to increase your water intake. Have it even between your meals. Its good. And I would also recommend you to go for spring water . Its healthier.

Helpful Tips

Easy Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
Decided to post a separate tip. Easy Chicken Coconut Curry Soup This recipe serves four, but you can double it to serve a larger ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.