Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Need to tweak my diet...
margret21266 posted:
I am new to this and need to tweak my diet some. I need to loose some weight and have pledged to loose 30# tis year, so far I've lost 10. I try to eat 5-6 small meals daily and have high cholesterol with high triglycerides. I don't' take medication since it hurt my chest and am trying not too. I eat clean and have cut out sugar, I use unbleached AP flour when I cook for my husband and WW flour the rest of the time. We eat a lot of chicken and pork, rarely beef, but when my husband cooks it is fried in a little oil to make a gravy which he eats over white rice and me brown. I try to eat fish at least once a week if not more but I don't know where catfish is on the fatty fish scale. I read food labels and have some idea about nutrition but am having trouble tweaking my diet to lower my cholesterol and weight. If a nutritionist can give me any ideas I will greatly appreciate it.

rohvannyn responded:
Not a nutritionist, but I do know some things that may help. Eating clean and cutting out sugar is AWESOME, and eating more whole grains is also good. You haven't mentioned fruits and vegetables, make sure you are eating plenty of those. For me, an emphasis on lean protein and a de-emphasis on starches helps a lot, and you can get a lot of starches even in supposedly healthy foods. More leafy greens, more brightly colored vegetables, less potatoes (except for sweet potatoes), more fiber in general. You are doing well by mostly eating chicken and pork, they are generally better for you. More fish if you can manage it would be good. Of course, it depends on the kind of fish, and how you cook it.

There's a food tracker on this site, and another one on Calorie Count, where you can put in what you eat and find out the true nutritional content and calorie count. Calorie Count, a free website, will offer suggestions for improving nutrition and even has high protein options as well as vegetarian options, along with allowing you to set your desired rate of weight loss. If you have questions about it I'm the same user name on there. I just suggest it because it's been very helpful to me in the past.

Good luck!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

kattys responded:
No nutritionist, but i know that drinking purified spring water helps loosing body fat. Don't forget to drink a glass of water before your meal, it will help you stop from overeating. All the best

Helpful Tips

Divinely Delicious Lasagna - Low Fat, too!
I made this up, so you can do whatever you'd like with this. WARNING: You may end up making 2 dishes like I did. But, that's fine, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.