Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Help with a new way of eating
denipink posted:
Hello,

I am starting a gluten free diet and i am type 2 diabetic. There is so much online...i am not sure where to begin.

Does anyone here have any tips or suggestions to help me on my way? I have been following a low-carb, low fat diet for diabetics but i am not sure how to go about adding being gluten free. I don't want my blood sugar to spike for example so i need to be very careful about what i eat. My blood sugar is now in the "zone" and i sure want to keep it that way.

Thanks very much if you can help.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

erice_ma responded:
Since you are already following a low carb diet, gluten free should not require many changes. Since gluten comes from wheat, rye, barley, and with some risk from oats, you only have to avoid those foods. If, on your low carb diet, you are eliminating bread/pasta, that takes care of most the most common sources of wheat. If you want to sometimes have those foods, there are a number of companies that create specialty gluten free breads and pasta. Another major source is cereals -- most breakfast cereals have wheat/barley, but there are many that do not. Again, if you are already avoiding carbs, you may already be strictly limiting cereals. You will also need to become vigilant checking labels on processed foods for hidden sources of wheat/rye/barley. Those usually have readily available alternatives. You don't have to make any changes to fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, or poultry to be gluten free.

There is good information on living gluten free here:
http://www.celiac.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138&Itemid=239

rohvannyn responded:
Some grain and grainlike items to use when you do indulge in carbs: rice of any type, corn, quinoa, sesame, taro flour, soy. There are others, of course. Eating more nut and seed based foods, such as almond flour, will help increase your protein intake as well. It's easiest to place more emphasis on fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and protein sources rather than replace your gluten foods with non gluten foods, because non gluten foods still can have plenty of carbs. You may try looking at Paleo Diet websites for inspiration since that is naturally gluten free.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

denipink replied to erice_ma's response:
Thank you for your response and the link Denise

denipink replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you for your response Denise

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
66 of 83 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.