Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Corn vs (white) rice
An_246571 posted:
My husband refuses to believe there is any difference between fresh corn and steamed rice. He says both are starches, fattening., and not part of a healthy diet. I refuse to believe any food can't be part of a normal diet - as long as you watch portions and frequency. i am serious - how do i respond to this?

rohvannyn responded:
Honestly, I try not to eat either because both are starches, convert quickly to sugar in your body, and both make me much hungrier than I should be. I don't believe in forbidden foods, but at the same time both of those set up unhealthy patterns in my body.

Of course there is a difference between fresh corn and steamed rice. If put to it, I would say that the corn probably has slightly more nutritive value. I can tolerate either but only in small amounts and only when paired with a protein source. Much depends on what you put on them as well.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

EricE_MA responded:
I agree with you that any wholesome food can be part of a normal healthy diet if you watch portions and frequency for most people. (I clarify "wholesome" because I don't count things like cotton candy, fruit roll-ups, as wholesome.)

There is a commonly held belief that "starches are fattening." At face value, this is obviously not true. The majority of skinny people consume significant amounts of starch in their diets. However, starchy foods are caloric. Going back to your point that moderation matters, starchy foods in excess are fattening. But it is the excess, not the mere fact that they are starchy.

Also, some people with carbohydrate metabolism problems (such as people with diabetes) often need to watch starchy foods (as Rohvannyn does) more carefully than the average person because starchy foods do raise blood sugars and can do so significantly.

Finally, because rice and corn are starchy, they are relatively high in calories compared to the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals). Rice and corn are in about the same ballpark. Obviously carrots and greens get you much more nutrition for your calorie buck. But you do have to meet your calorie needs. For most people, there is room for some corn, rice, and other grain foods.

Helpful Tips

My DIY smoothie
For my pre-menaposal body I enjoy smoothies with low-fat vanilla soy milk. I add fruit and low-fat yogurt -- nothing better. More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.