Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Fasting
atiya1973 posted:
Does anyone have any good healthy ideas for fasting...we start our fast at sunrise and we break our fast at sunset...what are some good healthy tips for what i can eat and drink during those times to hold me over...also we dont drink water...any suggestions?

rohvannyn responded:
You don't drink water during the fast? Anything I could suggest would contain water so I don't really have anything to suggest. If you are looking for things to sustain you during the day and can have water with things in it, I would suggest unsweetened tea made with licorice root, or peppermint or spearmint. Stevia makes a good natural sweetener. If you aren't going to eat or drink much, it's important to make sure that what you put in your body is good. If you need fruit juice, tomato or pomegranate juice could be good. I wouldn't reccommend anything caffeinated or heavily sugared, it will make your hunger and thirst worse.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Oh, and one other thing... during the times you are not fasting, it's a good idea to stay away from carbohydrates, particularly white carbs like bread, pasta, and potatoes. Lean protein and healthy fats will help your body stay fuller, longer, and not give you a sugar crash that will leave you weak and shaky halfway through the day. Some suggestions: eggs, lean chicken breast, lean beef, nuts, seeds, beans, celery and peanut butter.
Roh

susieq41 replied to rohvannyn's response:
How often do you fast and for how long? I have never tried this and I have made the decision to be a whole new me and I am looking for different things to incorporate into my diet to mix it up and help cleans my body of toxins. My main diet is made up of only baked meats with steamed veggies or a very small amount of any other side like green beans. Almost no bread and junk foods. My snack is peanut butter filled pretzels. We are also a member of a raw foods group. It is nothing like you would thing. I will be posting a few recipes for the meals and desserts and smoothies that we eat from the class.

marshagal responded:
I don't understand not doing water. I personally like to do a water only 1 day fast once a month. I go a full 24 hours and aim for at least 10 cups of water. It helps cleanse my body and helps me enjoy the foods I do eat when I start eating again. I can promise, you don't want junk after going a whole day drinking only water! At least I don't.. it just feels wrong.

rohvannyn replied to marshagal's response:
Some religious traditions have fasting practices where they forbid drinking certain things (including water) at certain times. I believe you are not allowed to eat or drink while the sun is up during Ramadan, for example, though I might be misremembering.

Maybe it's just because I live in the desert, but I consider any diet that forbids water as just plain foolish. Water is the one thing we need, even if we don't have anything else. There is no reason to deny it to ourselves.
Roh

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 37 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.