Skip to content

Announcements

Diet resources with multiple medical needs.
An_253997 posted:
We need a good resource to determine what my spouse can have on his 'diet.' He gets conflicting advice from each doc, even in the same specialty. Previous cardio said no carbs, but as many eggs as you want. New cardio says only an occasional egg, you CAN have oatmeal.
Primary says cut out the carbs and sugar and puts him on metformin to 'prevent' diabetes. (A1C was elevated and BS fasting and before supper is in 115-125 range with metformin 500 twice a day.) Primary's partner says thats fine, calls it a goal reached. Primary says got to get it down, is contributing to rashes and infections, says our diet plan is good. Then we see that all the raw broccoli and other lunch staples are not good for you on thyroid supplements and have to stop eating them. He had CABG x 5 eight yr ago at 50 and has gained over 100 pounds since. His testosterone level is 125 after months of injections. His cholesterol is slowly coming down on all three types of cholesterol meds together, which you aren't supposed to take together. His triglycerides are out the roof.He is on BP meds and on blood thinner due to Afib even after ablations. And on and on. Where can I submit or plug in all this stuff and find out what to feed him and pack in his lunch? I am at my wits end and he is too. And asking for a referral to a dietician is not an answer. We are going broke with medical bills, and dieticians give different answers all the time.

rohvannyn responded:
If only there was a way to get all the doctors talking to each other! Not only that, but doctors are frequently somewhat uninformed when it comes to diet. Sounds like he needs to start with complex carbs and stay away from simple sugars and refined carbs. That's a good idea for anybody unless you are a kidney patient. With the eggs, if they are worried about the cholesterol then he could do egg white omelettes, things like that.

For the medication interactions, find yourself a good pharmacist and talk to them. Here's a way to find a good one: If your insurance has a mail order component to it, even if you don't use it, call your mail order pharmacy and ask to speak to a pharmacist. That way you have someone who is dedicated to talking to you during that phone call and they will be able to see everything that is being prescribed and see all the interactions.

With that information, you might want to talk to a dietician. SInce that doesn't seem like a good possibility though, concentrating on whole foods and just generally getting high nutrient, non processed foods will help. In my experience, eating eggs doesn't mess up my cholesterol much but that is just me. The pharmacist will be able to help you with any actual medication interactions between food and meds.

You also might want to make a list of all medications and dietary instructions and give it to each doctor when you see them, so everyone can see what everyone is doing.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

All fine with some changes
I am slightly diabetic and not overweight, but still make these changes to almost all baked goods: Replace all flour with a combination ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.