Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Mixing green tea with coffee
An_254005 posted:
Hello people,
I am curious to know that if mixing green tea with coffee (any) is alright. Would it decrease the efficiency of either?

rohvannyn responded:
About all it would do is increase the caffeine content. Are you thinking about taking coffe, then brew green tea in it? That would of course increase the caffeine content and put some valuable nutrients into the coffee. If you just mixed the two together, you would somewhat decrease the average content (if it was half prebrewed green tea and half coffee) of the caffeine, and maybe make a nice refreshing drink. That could be really tasty when cold, too.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

sam1985 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Caffeine compound is known to inhibit cell growth and encourage apoptosis or programmed cell death. This process also aids in reducing the risk of many other types of cancers beside prostate.

rohvannyn replied to sam1985's response:
That's interesting, and I'm curious. Your statement seems to be a bit contradictory, but maybe I'm missing something. If caffeine compounds are known (by whom?) to inhibit cell growth, and encourage programmed cell death, wouldn't that be a bad thing for the body? Or does it mostly work on cancers or precancerous cells, thereby reducing the risk of cancer by reducing cell overgrowth?

The research I've read seems to indicate that the caffeine itself isn't the biggest factor in the anticancer effects of coffee or tea, but rather the antioxidents that are also in them. That's a synthesis of quite a few medical articles from a number of sources. I can probably dig some of them up if you are interested.

I'd be fascinated to see your sources.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

jacobedward02 responded:
Caffeine and a chemical in the tea called EGCGIn studies, researchers found that a combination of caffeine and a 90-mg dose of EGCG taken three times a day can help you burn an extra 80 calories a day.
source : http://www.belmarrahealth.com

kattys responded:
I think that for most green teas, this would NOT work well. Coffee is much stronger in flavor and aroma than green tea, and would easily overpower it; the result would probably just taste like strange, water down coffee.

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.