Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

INCREDIBLY picky eater...
nikimartincst posted:
So I am looking to loose 40-50 pounds. Problem is, I am an incredibly picky eater. I can not eat peanut butter because it makes me physically sick. The list of foods I actually enjoy is very short and consist mainly of white potatoes (terrible, I know). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Niki

atti_editor responded:
Hi Niki,

A well-balanced diet and regular exercise routine are essential to weight loss, and while being a picky eater might make things more difficult, you will just have to be more creative with your food preparation. Have you tried "hiding" fruits and veggies in dishes that you like? I don't particularly love spinach, but when added to a morning fruit smoothie I don't mind it one bit. You might also try cutting vegetables into very small pieces and adding them to spaghetti sauce (if you like pasta). I found this WebMD blog post on Underground Picky Eaters that you might want to check out. The post also mentions a book that could be worth reading.

Here are some other resources that you might find helpful (and that might contain some foods that you already like):
Portion control and a willingness try at least a couple new foods, could really help you in accomplishing your goal. This post by the Livestrong Foundation has some steps that could help you get started.

I wish you the best in your weight loss journey! Make sure to check in and let us know how you are doing!

-Atti

rohvannyn responded:
It's good that you realize that you are a picky eater, as it's hard to fix a problem if you don't recognize that it exists. The suggestions already offered are awesome.

You can also try desensitizing yourself by having little bits of certain healthy foods that you know you should eat, but don't like. Try different ways of preparing them. Sometimes a cooking method or a spice can literally make ALL the difference. For instance, I can't stand the taste of beets, unless they are in a chunky borchch, with dill. The dill totally changes the flavor.

As long as you self-identify as a picky eater, you will always be one. It might be helpful to think of food as a chance to try different things, almost like an adventure. You don't have to end up liking everything, but you can train yourself to be more flexible.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

nikimartincst responded:
So since I've begun my "lifestyle change" (not diet), I have lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks. I have tried to cut almost all soda out and increase my water intake. I am trying to expand my taste buds. I have been eating a lot of raw veggies (which I love) and fruit. I worry that I'm not getting enough protein because I'm not really eating a whole lot of meat. I can only eat so much grilled chicken before it makes me feel like I'm going to be sick. I did branch out some and try talapia (spelling?) for the first time. It was actually really good as long as I didn't smell the fishy smell. Someone that I work with told me that it doesn't usually have that smell if it's cooked right. So I'm encourage to try it again. I worry also about my calcium intake. I am lactose intolerant and do not get much milk in any form. I guess I should be taking a supplement of some sort.

rohvannyn replied to nikimartincst's response:
True, properly cooked tillapia doesn't smell fishy. You may want to try cod, it is a nice dense fish with white flesh, no real smell, and it's very nice with a variety of seasonings. You can bake it, fry it, put it in chowder.

Nuts and various soy products, as well as beans of various kinds, are also good ways to get protein. Don't just stop at tofu, crunchy edamame snacks, soy nuts, and almond milk or soy milk are also good for you.
Roh

rohvannyn replied to nikimartincst's response:
By the way, congrats on the loss! You are starting out right by cutting down on the soda, increasing water intake, and thinking about nutrition. That's the way all weight loss successes I've ever heard of do it!
Roh

atti_editor responded:
First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far! It sounds like you are taking all the right steps to set yourself up for success, and I definitely agree with Roh's suggestions of where you can add protein in your diet without having to have chicken every night

This slideshow might come in handy for you -- it shows you the amount of protein in 8oz servings of some of the more common protein-packed foods. This article might also give you some ideas for healthy protein food sources.

As far as getting enough calcium when you're lactose intolerant, this quiz might help. Almonds and foods fortified with calcium (some cereals, orange juices, etc) might be good places to start.

- Atti

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 84 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.