Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Weight Loss Question
    jrlong1960 posted:
    I'm a 54 year old female. I'm 5'4" tall and currently weigh 154 lbs. In April of 2011, I began and exercise routine. By June of 2011, I was walking 4 miles, 6 days a week on my elliptical. On 3 days each week, I was using free weights on arms and legs. That year, I lost 13 pounds. (I began at 167 lbs.)
    The next year I stopped using the elliptical and starting using my treadmill. My current routine is 4 miles/6 days each week along with the weights on 3 of those days.
    I've tried doing various things with regard to my diet in order to see what works. I've tried low carb. I've tried reduced portion. I've tried 5 small meals each day. I've tried liquid only. I'm now on salads only with no dressing. I drink about 100 oz. of water each day.
    Nothing so far has helped me shed another pound since 2011.
    Is there any kind of supplement I can take to help speed my metabolism?
    airius responded:
    Have you tried using the food tracker on this website? You seem to have a good exercise regime going on so I'm thinking that it is the food. I don't usually suggest supplements because once you stop taking them, the weight comes back.
    atti_editor responded:
    Here is a link to our Food & Fitness Planner . It is a great way to set goals and chart your progress.

    Best wishes,
    kattys responded:
    You have a good exercise routine. I don't know why you are having problem in loosing weight. You drink adequate amount of water also. May be you should search a for diet plan that could help reduce weight.

    Helpful Tips

    Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
    Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    89 of 106 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

    Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.