Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Best Diet for Kidney Stone prevention and Lower Cholesterol
An_256416 posted:
Hello, I am trying to figure out the best diet plan for me. I have a history of kidney stones and recently found out that I have high LDL cholesterol and trigylcerides. I know I need to change my diet and exercise more but I am struggling to know what is best for my diet. It seems as though the things that are best for kidneystone prevention, are not the best for other issues. Can you please help me figure out what the best diet plan for me is?

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is some information on preventing kidney stones with diet as well as lowering high cholesterol with diet . Both can benefit from diets lower in saturated fats and animal proteins as well as increases in fiber. The above links give examples of foods you should limit and those you can add to your diet.

The kidney stones piece also has information based on the type of kidney stones you have had (calcium or oxalate) and what may be better for you based on that. Cross referencing the foods in each list will give you a good starting point to create a diet that is right for your situation and taste preferences. You might also be interested in this article about the TLC diet for high cholesterol .

Best wishes,
Atti

kattys responded:
Some tips to naturally prevent kidney stones are:
1. Balance the fat soluble vitamins.
2. Add lemon to your water .
3. Moderate the level of salt in your diet.

Helpful Tips

Tuesday's Kitchen Tips - Sharpen Your Knives For Less Tears
If you find yourself tearing up while cutting onions, try sharpening your knives. The oils released by a dull knife trying to get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.