Skip to content

Announcements

Been eating Greek yogurt lately, peanut butter...now constipated
cindigal posted:
I started to eat for the better; buy non-fat Greek yogurt when I shop (quart of it). I will buy frozen fruit and make smoothie with yogurt almost every morning. My goal is to cut alot of carbs in my diet and I used to eat cereal in the morning and I look labels all the time and most cereals have lot of carbs, even the fiber rich ones. I have noticed that with cutting on some carbs and eating yogurt, peanut butter or nuts I am constipated. Once in a awhile I have to take gentle laxative on night time so I will go the next day. I also taking more water, I keep a gallon of water in the fridge and drink with my water bottle, I refill it a few times a day, so I thought it (water) would regulate me no matter what. I took two laxatives last night and I did have relief this morning, but.....only one time. I am drinking more water so i will go alot more but it hasn't happened. Should I back off on the yogurt, peanut butter, and or nuts for a while.

cindigal

rohvannyn responded:
Rather than that, it would be helpful for you to add some fiber to your diet in a non grain form. I have constipation problems when I am on a high protein low grain/carb diet because the food I eat produces less residue and doesn't move through my system as well. So have some celery with your peanut butter. Or kale. Or Romaine lettuce. Or anything leafy/fibrous. It will help you out. Also, don't be too worried about animal fat with this kind of diet, you need a little to keep you lubricated and keep your brain working.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

What's Wrong With Eating Low Carb?Expert
Generally a really low carbohydrate eating plan is not desirable for most people because our brain and our muscles prefer to run on ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 40 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.