Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

I shopped a new store yesterday
cindigal posted:
Do you ever get lost when you experience a new store..??. Everything you used to know where the aisles are, it' another story in a new store. Ok, we have this new store called "HyVee" and I wanted to see how it was (prices wise) rather than my regular Walmart. I have been disappointing lately with my grocery bill at Walmart (even though most of things I buy are their brand). Every time I shop, which is every two weeks, my son drives me there because I dont drive. I have to budget and it's going towards the grocery bill.

So I had mixed feelings with HyVee. The store is huge which frustrates me since Im am so indecisive, and the more things a store has, its harder for me, not a easy chore. They had their brands of course but among other name brands, and I found other brands were higher priced food that I usually pay for. Its hard to fish out their "brand" in a sea of other food. Since our routine is; my son drops off at the front door, and comes back about 1 hour and 45 mins later. Really, that time I need because of my indecisive nature. This time i was not looking at some of the brands because I needed to get through my shopping in time and didnt pay attention at labels. I did get oatmeal, I always like it because nutrition. But i also got Raisin Bran because i knew of their fiber content and another kind of protein cereal. I was dismayed when I got home and I looked at the labels, I didnt pay attention of them in the store. Although they had 5 gm and 9 gm fibers in between of the two cereal, and sugar was decent enough. But my lord, the carb count is 25 or 45 gm for the other. How can that be when the sugar count was low.

I am confused now because I have no idea how many gms a person need in a day, carb wise. Are there any charts there that has the gms of food; protein, carbs, sugar, etc. in a day.? Also, I wanted to know compare prices or how much money should one person spend every two weeks, that includes personal items and dry goods like shampoo, conditioner, etc..??. I know its a tall order to asked but I feel my two week budget for food, etc is more than ever. Also I have two cats and money also goes toward their canned food, dry food, litter, and misc.

cindigal

atti_editor responded:
Hi cindigal,

I definitely know what you mean about getting lost in a new store...even going from one location to another of the same store can get me all out of sorts! At least there is usually some consistency in finding your staples like meats, produce, and dairy products around the perimeter

This slideshow about counting carbs has a focus on diabetes, but I think that the information that it outlines is useful even if you do not have diabetes. It talks about the different kinds of carbs and sugars and how to choose those that are better for you. It also gives some basic guidelines for daily consumption and outlines some basics on eating a balanced diet. This overview on dietary guidelines gives a wider range of foods and an idea of how much you should be eating in each category.

As far as grocery bills go, it really differs from person to person what would be considered standard. Things like buying brand names factors in, as well as the types of foods you are eating -- are they organic, mostly fresh produce, good cuts of meat, do you have dietary restrictions you are making accommodations for, etc? As long as none of the food you are buying is going to waste, and you feel that you are eating a balanced, well-portioned diet, your grocery budget is probably on par. Have you tried buying non-perishables in bulk? Sometimes this can help cut down on cost.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.