Skip to content

Announcements

Ice cream makers ...debating on whether to buy one
cindigal posted:
I love ice cream or frozen yogurt in the summer better than other desserts. I usually opt for the low carb kind but it's very costly these days. I perused the internet for look for recipes that do NOT need heavy cream or eggs. Even frozen yogurt recipes and there's myriad of recipes, which to someone like me, it's daunting. I am asking if anyone out there has a ice cream machine and are they good for the job.

I saw recipes that do NOT need ice cream maker and have many steps to them. I saw one that uses canned evaporated milk, powdered sugar and you refrigerate the milk one day ahead, then then you whip and whip till peaks form. Add the sugar and freeze in a storage container in take it out every hour to whip the concoction again. Do this each hour for 4 hours. Seems like a chore to get ice cream. I saw frozen yogurt recipes that uses nonfat or lowfat yogurt , real fine sugar, lemon juice and whatever kind of fruit you want. They didn't have as many steps.

I am asking if anyone out there has a ice cream machine and are they good for the job.

cindigal

erice_ma responded:
I received one as a gift. Actually given to me by someone who received it as a gift, tried it a couple of times and decided it wasn't worth it, so they re-gifted it to me.

I also have tried it a couple of times. The ice cream was good. But was not easy to make, was not cheaper than store bought and wasn't really particularly "healthy." (Actually, arguably less healthy because since it tasted good, I ate too much in too short a time!) So, I would not recommend getting an ice cream maker except as a curiosity and later something to waste storage space.

rohvannyn replied to erice_ma's response:
If you want to make custom flavors, you can get high quality vanilla ice cream, let it soften (not entirely melt) and stir in your own flavors, then let it re freeze. Not quite as good as home made but ultimately cheaper and more customizable.

Some flavors I reccommend: licorice, made with anise extract, matcha powder, nuts, broken cookies, fruit preserves.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

6 Ways to Switch to Whole FoodsExpert
The more we know about nutrition and health, the more it seems we need to eat the way we did a hundred years ago. ?Recent research is ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.