Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Is Turkey Bacon Better Or Real Baco
chapterbook posted:
I have had a heated discussion with my husband about real bacon vs. real bacon. He said one of his friends told him that turkey bacon is not good for you in the long run. They told him that turkey bacon had a lot of sodium, and chemicals, and real bacon is better, even though it is more fat.

EricE_MA responded:
You can compare these items on the label in the store. My observation is that sodium tends to be a little higher in the regular bacon, though they are similar. Both have added nitrates and phosphates and other preservatives. Pretty similar here too although the total ingredient list is longer in the turkey bacon.

straightscoop responded:
They both have a lot of sodium and chemicals, although turkey bacon is generally lower in fat and calories. So it really depends on what you define as "bad." If you are dieting, turkey is probably the lesser of the two evils. You can buy nitrate-free, natural, low-fat organic turkey bacon at Whole Foods and other health-food stores. It's the only kind I buy.

MedicalStudent05 responded:
This is a hard topic to cover. That is almost like asking which Cola is better for us. Any type of Bacon is cut from a fatty part of the animal (Belly or Side). The other thing to consider is that calories are coming from fat, such as 251 calories, with 251 from fat for pork bacon as compared to 313 calories with 206 from fat for Turkey. So as far as calories from fat is looks like Turkey is "healthier". I will say that when it comes to pork or poultry, I myself go for poultry for a couple reasons. 1. Poultry is usually more active which leads to more lean areas. 2. Pigs are slosh feed or bottom feeders in the wild, so the "you are what you eat" turns into "you are what you just ate, ate" Any bacon is high in Saturated Fat (very hard to get rid of and burn). Pork is usually lower in sodium then Turkey Bacon. Final and very to the point judgement: Avoid both and eat an orange or some whole grains for breakfast such as cereal or a good ol' PB&J.

24SevenFamFit responded:
Turkey bacon = Spam For the record I hold degrees both as a Registered Nurse and Clinical Nutritionist as well I am a certified personal trainer. My entire life has been devoted to fitness as a competitive bodybuilder, personal trainer and health club owner since 1984. Ironically my girlfriend (who is a doctor) and I had this debate over breakfast because she bought turkey bacon. The FACTS are that turkey bacon is less healthy than pork bacon if you choose a quality low sodium pork product (which I do). Fact: Dark meat turkey has as much fat and cholesterol as beef. This is why you must use ground turkey breast and not ground turkey to curb fat and cholesterol intake when replacing beef in meals such as meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc. The same goes for all land based fowl such as chicken. But why you ask? Myoglobin is what turns white meat dark. It is the compound that transports oxygen to the "working muscles" such as the leg and thigh, and throughout the entire bird such as duck and geese (because they are airborne) and also stores cholesterol and saturated fat in these highly aerobic muscle groups, thus the high fat and cholesterol content of these areas. Okay now that the biology lesson is over, let?s do the comparison: Bacon Type Calories | Cal / Fat | Fat (g) | Sat. Fat (g) | Chol (mg) | NA (mg) | Pro (g) Willie Bird Turkey Bacon 1 Slice 60 25 3 1 14 200 7 Oscar Mayer (Low Sodium) Bacon 2 slices 70 50 6 2.5 10 170 4 Adjusted Pork Serving 1 Slice 35 25 3 1.25 5 85 2 As most would overlook when comparing these labels, the serving sizes need adjusting. The turkey is one slice and the pork is two. When you adjust for this you will find that the turkey bacon has nearly twice the calories, equal fat calories and nearly equal saturated fat. The whammy comes from cholesterol at nearly three times as much as the pork and the sodium is more than double! Okay, one can make the argument that based on weight the numbers swing back to the turkey bacon's favor, however when was the last time someone ordered "2 eggs, grits and 60 grams of bacon please"? So for a real world solution, eat the pork bacon for the flavor, limit your intake to perhaps Sunday mornings as I do, and if your diet is balanced and relatively healthy (barring any medicinal dietary issues) it is a moot point anyway. Why did I present such an elaborate reply? Because I spend too much of my time educating clients and members in how to REALLY interpret labels and how to sniff out the loop holes in the FDA guidelines for labeling. This is yet another way the food companies "sell" you on a healthy product when IN FACT IT IS NOT!!!! Thanks FDA for having out backs! Besides, turkey bacon came around as a way for vegetarians (which I do not understand how not eating pork and beef makes you a veggie) and those with spiritual restriction on pork intake to have their simulated bacon and eat it too. It was not developed as a measure for healthy eating. Then of course there are the chemical factors. Turkey bacon is not "cut" from the bird, it is a processed patty like product and thus has emulsifiers and all kinds of stuff that I have since forgotten since chemistry, but it is a laboratory product. The pork is cured and contains phosphates for preservation but by far is a more organic product. I personally don't eat much bacon, but when I do I don't want something equivalent to turkey Spam.

ElaineMageeRD responded:
So many great posts in response to this quandary! On occasion I enjoy Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon or Center Cut bacon. Which is better? I think it's a bit of a toss up. When comparing bacons you really have to look at the amount that you will consume. A couple slices of turkey bacon will usually go a long way. They don't shrink down in size like regular bacon. As far as sodium goes, make sure for either that you don't add any salt to the dish you are adding the bacon to (there's plenty of sodium already most likely). Also make sure you are eating a high antioxidant vegetable or fruit at the same time that you eat any processed meat. I wrote an article for WebMD on bacon a few months ago, here are some highlights: * Sixty-eight percent of pork bacon calories come from fat, almost half of which is saturated and each ounce contributes 30 milligrams of cholesterol. Recent diet guidelines from the American Heart Association recommend limiting saturated fat to less than 7% of calories (that?s less than 16 grams of saturated fat for a 2,000-calorie intake). These guidelines make the idea of occasionally enjoying a small amount of bacon, or switching to lower fat and saturated turkey bacon, seem rather sensible. * Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers. That?s why AICR advises people to avoid all forms of processed meat until we know more about what it is specifically about processed meat that increases cancer risk. * It?s not clear how exactly processed meat raises cancer risk but it might have to do with: ----Nitrates (often used as preservatives in processed meat) change into N-nitroso (compounds that promote cancer) in the meat and also in the gut when it is being digested. ----PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) carcinogenic compounds can be produced during processing. * If there is any good news about bacon it?s that just one ounce will usually be enough to sideline your breakfast or fill your BLT sandwich or top your baked potato. Even with the highest fat bacon option in the table below, one ounce adds up to 140 calories (the same amount of calories in 1-cup of lowfat milk or 2 small slices of whole wheat bread). Make a slightly leaner bacon selection (such as Oscar Mayer Center Cut Smokehouse Thick Sliced) and an ounce adds up to 105 calories and 7.5 grams of fat. * In the mid 1990?s, bacon didn?t even make the top 15 food sources for total fat among US adults, although sausage was #12 and eggs were #14, according to USDA dietary data from 1994-1996. Bacon didn?t hit the top 15 food sources of saturated fat either, but sausage came in at #12 and eggs #15.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 81 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.