Skip to content

Announcements

Crash after eating
Cindigal posted:
I don't know if anyone experiences this, after I eat dinner especially about 1/2 or 1 hr later I feel like i want to crash on the couch. No matter what I eat, protein, carbs, fat. I eat healthy, a have a salad sometimes with a meal. When i shop I try to get variety of meals, sometimes I don't want to cook for that night, I will have frozen meals (only healthy ones). I tried lean cuisine, healthy choice, smart ones. I never had the smart ones dinner till I was at a friends house and she cooked two meals. I did not know they were made by Weight Watchers. I am not a member but I can not believe how good the meals were. I am sure that anyone on weight watchers have to get those frozen meals along with other stuff. Back to the point of crashing after dinner, no matter I eat.....whether its a small or larger....I crash after. Does anyone experience with that....

unknown responded:
Have you been to a doctor to make sure you don't have something like diabetes or other health issue going on? When you eat enough food-but not too much and it is a balance of whole grains/complex carbs and proteins-do you have the same reaction? Is it only dinner time or other meals? As far as Weight Watchers members, they have no meals that they are required to buy. Buying the meals may be handy for some members-but in general most Weight Watchers members don't buy the special meals unless they prefer them to planning lunch or eat alone at dinner.Glad to hear you found a meal you enjoyed though-I know that some people are fans of specific Smart Ones meals as well as some Lean Cuisine or Kashi meals.

GreenStudent responded:
That happens to me, too, no matter how light of a meal I eat. Usually I just give myself a little rest--a read or a cuddle--and then get back to my day.

ElaineMageeRD responded:
I would definitely consult with your doctor to rule out anything medical that might be going on. The part that is perplexing is that you say it doesn't matter what amount you eat. Generally it's the richer meals (higher in fat) or the larger meals (size wise) that cause our body to divert some of it's blood into the stomach area to aid in the digestion process which then decreases the amount of oxygen getting to your brain (making you sleepy). It tends to be the high carbohydrate foods that encourage sleepiness (potatoes, pasta, beans and rice, vegetables) which is why they tend to be suggested in the evening meal for people suffering from insomnia issues. And it's the protein foods that tend to do the opposite but preferably if it's lean protein and in moderate amounts. If you eat a large sized steak that's heavily marbled, that will make you sleepy because it will be hanging out in your stomach for a while and you ate a large portion. Here are some general food suggestions to fight fatigue with food: * Don't get caught up in the caffeine energy crash. Some people are more sensitive to the highs and lows of caffeine. What comes up eventually comes crashing down. When are you most fatigued during the day? Is it an hour or two after you typically have a lot of coffee/caffeine? * Eat a well-balance diet and don't skip meals--especially breakfast. * make sure you are getting enough good-quality fuel for energy--which requires eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water. * Start your day with a nutrient rich, higher fiber breakfast. * Eat small-sized meals every three or so hours instead of eating large meals a couple times a day. * Include fruits and vegetables, lean meats, or high-protein plant foods and lowfat dairy products in your meals and snacks throughout the day when possible. A morning or midday meal with some carbohydrate, fiber, protein, and fat is more likely to digest more slowly, proving the body with a more constant supply of energy. * Don't fill up on high fat or sugary foods--they tend to leave you feeling sluggish. Here are a few non-food suggestions: * Regular exercise is your best defense against fatigue. If you feel too tired to exercise vigorously, try taking a short walk. * Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Sleeping undisturbed the first 4 hours of the night is crucial. * Deal with emotional problems instead of ignoring or denying them. * Take steps to control your stress level and workload. Hope this helps! --Elaine

Helpful Tips

Have you tried Quinoa yet? You should!Expert
Quinoa is a whole grain that has been around for thousands of years...once considered the "gold of the Incas." I've been trying to think ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 89 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD

Dietician Elaine Magee has the secret recipe for creating healthy meals that are guaranteed to please any condition or diet...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.