Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Suffering for almost a year and still no relief
lacee1986 posted:
I have been suffering with acid reflux since last November. I have tried over the counter zantac, gaviscon, prescription prilosec and tagament, organic apple cider vinegar, baking soda, edible aloe vera gel, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, and I have even tried a hydrochloric acid promoter to see if I didn't have enough acid. The acid promoter worked better than the acid reducers, but it never worked consistanly. The vinegar and baking soda work sometimes. I am just at my whits end. I feel like crap half the time. When I get the reflux it makes my sinuses go crazy and I get a headache. I can't work out vigorously anymore because that brings it on. I've tried drinking more water with my meals, not drinking any water with my meals, and I have cut out offending foods such as caffeine, tomato, soda, onions, and peppers. One thing I can say is that I tend to overeat and maybe eat too fast. I'm not overweight. I am 115 lbs at 5ft 3in. I just don't know what to do anymore. I hate to eat because I never know how I will feel right after. It doesn't wait to hit me. The moment I am done eating I feel it backing up into my throat. One thing can set it off and then the whole day is shot. I never feel heartburn. Just acid in my throat. I don't have insurance so seeing a doctor is not very affordable for me. I am just worried that it could be a problem with my LES or a hiatal hernia. Is there any advice anyone could give me or something new to try that I haven't done yet?

lacee1986 responded:
Can someone please read this and let me know what you think? I am seriously desperate.

CalGal37 responded:
If you haven't been tested for H. pylori, that's one of the first things that should be done. I know you say seeing a doc might be problematic, but you need to rule out the possibility of having that since H. pylori is known to cause changes in the amount of stomach acid that is produced.

And the problem with acid suppression meds is not all work alike. One may work better than another for each individual, so several may have to be tried and it can take many weeks to find out which one will be effective, so patience is needed. When the meds are taken they'll probably need to be be used in conjunction with a GERD-friendly diet across the board. Cutting out only some specific foods may not be enough.

Another thing you're saying is you like to work out vigorously. That's great, but if you're exercising to balance your over-eating, you're stressing your system out quite a bit. Vigorous exercising - depending on the type - can increase the pressure in the abdominal area. When that happens, the pressure pushes upward on the stomach promoting the movement of acid toward the esophagus - not good. I'm not saying give up the exercising, but moderation in exercise and eating might be helpful.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Beth Anderson. This is a photo of my with my daughter Katie who was born in 1990. Her GERD was diagnosed when she was three days old. Mine...More

Helpful Tips

Treat Gerds/ acid reflux naturally
I have this condition and it is getting worse by the day. After searching on the internet for natural alternatives to medicines, i found ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.