Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sore Throat, Ear Pain. GERD?
An_241316 posted:
Hello and thanks in advance for any feedback. A little over 2 weeks ago I started having a constant dull achy pain in the right side of my throat and on and off pulsating pain in my right ear. My voice also started feeling scratchy and hoarse, and swallowing was more comfortable with a cough drop, tea, or a popsicle. I'm 30 years old and I smoked for a few years while I was in college, I chewed tobacco on and off until finally quitting a few months ago when my daughter was born, I drink on weekends, and I do have some family history of cancer (although not head/throat cancer that I'm aware of). I've also been diagnosed with acid reflux in the past and was on Prilosec for a while, but had stopped using it at some point.

Because of the combination of risk factors I went to see an ENT and he used a throat scope down my nose to take a look. The doctor said that he could see some acid reflux damage, but not a lot else. He also felt the right/back of my tongue for infection. He put me on a 5 day prescription of Zithromax and asked me to start taking 2 Prilosec per day, and to come back and see him in 2 weeks.

It's been about a week now and the pain in my ear seems significantly less noticeable, my throat also seems a bit better but it still has a dull achy, uncomfortable feeling on the right side near my Adam's Apple.

I'm don't know a lot about reflux/GERD and I'm curious about a few things. Do my symptoms sound like they could be acid reflux related? If so, does it generally take some time for the throat/ear to feel normal after being on Prilosec? Should I be worried about anything more significant like throat cancer? Again, thanks for the help.

An_241753 responded:
have had acid reflux/GERDS for about 13yrs now. my Dr said the throat/ear aches are just part of it frOm the acid rising up. it also bothers my jaw at Times too. he put me on ear drops that help out, its not as bad, but do still have problems at times-just deal with it is all ME can do!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.