Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GERD discomfort after drinking water?
CParodo posted:
Help! I have been experiencing some strange Reflux/Gerd symptoms over the last year or so. My history: I have been checked out by an ENT and he confirms that with a scope he sees some esophageal redness which is indicative of reflux. I take for meds, but not steadily, omeprazole or dexilant only, quit smoking 1.5 years ago, and only have a beer or 2 once a week. I am 10 lbs overweight, and walk over 20 miles a week. My strange symptoms: I wake every morning and drink a large glass of water, after a minute or so, sometimes I get uncomfortable reflux symptoms in my lower throat, from water? Also, at random times during the day, not necessarily after I eat, I get this really bad pain in my lower chest, all the way across, this happens about once a week. When this does happen I take a sip of water and it subsides, also, 3 Tums will help it pass too. Does this sound normal? reflux after water in the a.m.? also reflux symptoms on an empty stomach? this chest pain is pretty rough, and why would a simple sip of water help it subside?
thanks so very much for your help

Take the Poll

Do you get reflux symptoms upon waking in the a.m.?
  • yes!
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

CParodo responded:
wow! no replies...suprised at webmd...going elsewhere...tata

Torcal responded:
Don't get turned off. Eighty percent of your poll respondents have your problem.

However, no one can diagnose you via blog and, as you will notice after reading enough posts, GERD seems to affect everyone differently. Perhaps you are drinking the water too fast and just pushing the acid aready in your empty stomach back up your esophagus.

cocopebble responded:
I also find that a sip of water eases my pain and am curious as to why. I've gotten to the point that I always have a bottle of water with me just in case this happens. Hope someone responds and lets us know why this works.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.