Skip to content
GERD symptoms
Mark110172 posted:
Does GERD cause chest pain just below the breast and other symptoms like heavy breathing or shortness of breathe and occasional diarhea and just feeling awful? This symtoms just started two weeks ago and my doc thinks it's GERD. Can GERD just hit you out of the blue?

CalGal37 responded:
Mark, it can cause those symptoms. And yes, it can feel like it hits you out of the blue, but in most cases it's been 'coming on' for awhile - you just didn't pick up the early symptoms.

Mark110172 replied to CalGal37's response:
Thanks for the information. Do you know how long it takes to get back to normal once you start eating better and take medication? I've been taking Nexium twice a day and eating much better for over a week now and I'm still having a lot of problems.

CalGal37 replied to Mark110172's response:
Mark, if you're on proton pump inhibitors it take take 14 days or longer to start to feel better. It's not a quick fix. Also keep in mind that not one med works for everyone. If, after a month, you're not doing better, check with your doc and see if changing the brand of med you're taking will help. Not all meds work the same way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.