Skip to content
confused
trottier531 posted:
I am new here, and rather confused. 9 months ago I had a series of panic attacks and was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. I have been taking meds for this for 9 months now. Last night at work, I had what I felt was the same thing as last time. Pain in my chest, hard to breathe, couldn't talk, hard to swallow, motor skills depleting and vision wavering. I went to the er and was told it was gerd. my EKG was fine, good blood pressure and vitals. How can the two attacks be so similar?

Take the Poll

Do I have both?
  • Was one a misdiagnosis?
  • What is the likelyhood of these coming back again?
  • How do I function for 12 hours at work like this?
vote
View Poll Results

Torcal responded:
The people manning the ER are incompetent. You are fortunate they didn't try to treat you.

I've had GERD for over thirty years and I also take psychotropic drugs to contain my bipolar disorder. I take a drug (Lamictal) that helps stabilize my mood plus two other anti-depressants (Buproprion and Trazadone). And more.

Sometimes an event happens, or I engage in some project that results in a "break through" of the Lamictal screen and results in manic behavior. I have learned to recognize when it happens and I temper it down with a sedative.

My point is that it appears to me quite likely that some stimulus excited you enough to break through your medication' effects and result in another panic attack.

Perhaps you need to take more of your medication or combine it with another. But you do need to see your psychiatrist and relate your story.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Beth Anderson. This is a photo of my with my daughter Katie who was born in 1990. Her GERD was diagnosed when she was three days old. Mine...More

Helpful Tips

After over ten years GERD is gone, here's how
I have been worried about being on Prilosec for over 10 years with all the bad things I hear about it. I wanted to try weaning off of it ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.