Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have GERD?
Insignia200 posted:
I'm a 27 yr old American male, in very good physical shape, no heart or digestive problems in the past. Over the last couple of days, I've had some symptoms arise after eating and I'm wondering how I should treat them. Basically, I get this feeling where I constantly am belching. As if there is an air bubble that I am trying to pop but never does. It never tastes "acidic", and I don't think I've ever had heartburn per se, since there is never any burning sensation. It's just the belching and the pressure in my chest. The severity varies on the kind of meal I have. For instance, last night I had Chinese takeout and it was totally awful. This morning, I had a healthy breakfast and it was very mild, but still present. Maybe 4-5 times I had to belch.

I don't have health insurance right now, so I'm trying to not go to a doctor. I know there are a ton of OTC meds available but since I've never had this problem I don't really know where to start. I've tried TUMS, but they seem to do little. I've been recommended Prilosec? Any other recommendations?

I am sure lifestyle and diet have a lot to do with it and I am going to make appropriate adjustments now that I'm aware of the problem.

Thanks for any help!

CalGal37 responded:
Insignia, if you make the necessary food changes, you might want to consider trying a histamine blocker like zantac first before stepping up to the PPIs. Zantac is a 24 hr. action med and doesn't need to build-up in your system like a PPI does. It's a step-up from Tums, but slightly below the action of a PPI.

One thing you should have done if the problem continues though is testing for H. pylori, a bacteria that is involved with the problems caused by too much acid production.

Torcal responded:
I've had GERD for thirty years and take daily meds (Omerprazole) but I have neever experienced what Insignia is fighting with. But I have a few ideas:

1. You may be allergic. I'm Lactose intollerant but the bad effect is intestinal gas. There are good OTC anti-gas pills (not Beano, which only works with beans) you might try taking before you eat.

2. Wtihout noticing it, when you eat you could be swallowing a lot of air with your food which would account for the belching. Take smaller portions and chew it well before swallowing.

In any event, it doesn't appear to be GERD to me, but that's just based on my own experience.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 years old and natural health enthusiasts. Enjoy learning new stuffs and share with people. My website :

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.