Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GERD on a vacation
IBS_and_GERD posted:
Hi all,
I'm not sure how often things of this nature get posted here, but I thought this community might have some ideas that would help me. I'm planning my honey moon and we want to go to New Orleans (more specifically the French Quarter). Here's the prob. I have major belly problems (bad GERD/IBS). I manage my problems by medicine and more importantly diet. I pretty much eat a super bland diet with no spice/fatty things. A bland turkey sandwhich is a staple to my diet. I can't do red meat or ham. Smoked and flavored things give me big problems.
I'm at a loss as to what I can eat in this area though. Nearly every restaurant I can find information on serves what is either very spicy or very fatty. At the very least, it doesn't seem easy to find plain non-irritating foods for IBS/GERD. I really don't want to cancel this trip. My wife and I are both looking forward to it. I can't seem to find a good alternative though. There do not appear to be any decent grocery stores nearby that I could stock up from (this is what I normally do).
Just curious if anyone on here has had to manage this on trips and has suggestions. Thanks for any advice you have! And if you are familar with the area, please feel free to share!

CalGal37 responded:
My family doesn't have anyone dealing with GERD, but my husband does have to handle celiac disease and can't afford to take in even a smidge of gluten (wheat, rye and barley) so he's very careful. When we go to any restaurant he ends up being able to order by very carefully questioning the server and in some cases he talks to the chef directly. We've been to New Orleans several times and always have been able to find food that will suit his diet and the persons in the establishments have been more than wonderful in going out of their way to try to help us. I would think you'll be able to find things to eat if you order carefully. Explain you have stomach issues and need to eat simply.

We also do the 'grocery' route - very often. It makes things simplier. We'll often find a small apartment to rent and go to the store - even if we have to drive - to pick up things to cook. In New Orleans there is a very good public transit system so you might ask when you get there for the location of grocery stores that you can 'trolley' to............might make sight-seeing a lot more fun.

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.