Skip to content
RX for Acid Reflux
Anon_11417 posted:
My husband is 52 and has been diagnosed with acid reflux disease and was initially prescribed Prevacid and now takes OTC Prevacid. My question is How long should he keep taking these? He has been taking the prescription kind and then the OTC for more than 5 years now and takes 1 pill every day. Is this safe, or should he only take them from time to time? His Dr. told him 5 years ago to take one each day and said he would probably have to take them for the rest of his life because of the acid reflux disease.

calgal37 responded:
It's not the greatest idea in the world to take PPIs for long periods of time without some checking being done. Long-term use can lead to a variety of unpleasant consequences. They can include lowered levels of magnesium in the body, decrease in the level of B12, 'idiosyncratic' reactions such as erythema multiforme, pancreatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, an increased risk of community -acquired pneumonia, an increased risk of Clostridium difficile infection, and an increased risk of bone fracture.

Your husband's doc may have made that statement to him before knowledge of all the adverse side-effects were fully understood.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm currently having very scary symptoms and I'm hopnestly frustrated. I have always been asthmatic but since October, I have been experiencin...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.