Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A little confused on medications
TRMR posted:
I have had GERD since I was 16 and am now 33. I have taken medicine off and on since I was diagnosed at 16. A lot of times I have to switch my medication because after 5-6 months the medication stops working. It seems that the PPI's work better for me, but I am concerned about the side effects and I just read an article that said people often take them for a longer amount of time then needed.

I was recently taking Zantac 150mg twice a day. I have been suffering from lightheadedness/dizziness so one of my doctors (not my PCP) suggested I go back on a PPI. I hate to take the medicine if I could be harming my body more by taking it for so long. I decided to stop my medicine altogether for now and see how I do. There have been periods of time when I haven't needed to take anything.

Now that I have stopped taking the medicine I am having a burning sensation at the base of my neck (where the hole is between collar bones). It is uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I have also been having chest discomfort on the upper left next to my sternum. I have anxiety and the chest pain scares me because I am worried that it is my heart. I have been to my doc many times for chest pain and she assures me it is my GERD.

Sorry for rambling. I just wondered if anyone knows if taking PPI's for long periods of time is dangerous and if there are any other OTC options that don't have dizziness as a side effect (although I am not thinking it had anything to do with the medicine). Is taking OTC antacids like Zantac bad for long periods of time too?

Any help is appreciated!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

Answer to Burping Belching , acid, anxiety, gasping for air
I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.