Skip to content
GERD Heartburn
wmc65 posted:
I am 46 yr old and in great physical health but first experienced symptoms of heartburn/indigestion in July 2011. First dr visit they did no tests just prescribed acid blocker. The meds provided no help at all. Back to the dr with worse symptoms within 2 weeks, unbearable...i hate going to the dr for anything. I was eventually sent for and endoscopy which showed up irritation to my esophagus. I was told to continue to take acid blockers and come back in 4 months. They did not help. Seemed the only thing that helped was just dont eat. On top of everything I had aweful bloating from the slightest thing i put in my mouth. I requested tests to find out what was wrong but was told to give the acid blockers time to work. I went back to the dr for follow up this past Jan 30th. I was told to continue on the acid blockers but double the dose. I was fed up. I did some research and read articles on low stomach acid seemed to list all my symptoms and made the most sense to me. Low stomach acid can give the same symptoms of reflux and excessive acid. I just felt my food was not digesting properly(bloating, constipation, overall sluggish feeling, etc) I weaned myself off the acid blocker(protonic) and started taking Betaine HCL w/pepsin(stomach acid supplement)and probiotic before each meal...omg i feel almost normal again! NO bloating, no reflux, no constipation. This may not be the answer for everyone but hate to hear of those out there suffering like i did but for years...i hope this might be helpful to someone.

ginamarie33 responded:
HI - can you tell me more about this? Or can i contact you my email to ask you questions about it? Also I see its been 2 months since you posted this....are you still feeling normal?
Thanks for your help.
Gina

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm a 24 year old female with Interstitial Cystitis, for which I have an InterStim Unit. I was diagnosed in November of 2008 after having 3 su...More

Helpful Tips

Treat Gerds/ acid reflux naturally
I have this condition and it is getting worse by the day. After searching on the internet for natural alternatives to medicines, i found ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.