Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GERD breathing issues
justmeJB posted:
I have gerd and have suffered with it for a good number of years. I use omeprazole with good success. Occasionally I have these terrifying attacks where I wake up unable to inhale. The first time it happened, I literally thought I was going to die. I can exhale, but that doesn't help when you cannot inhale. I very slowly begin to wheeze through very short inhalations which increase until I am finally breathing normally. There is a lot of coughing and hacking and spitting involved. The cause of these attacks are from the trachea closing to keep out acids that have made their way through the upper esophageal sphincter. I spend a good many of nights sleeping in the upright position. Can anyone tell me the name for this condition, I found it once a long while back here on WebMD, but can't find it now.

Take the Poll

I wonder how common this type of episode is. Have you ever experienced this?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

deb6583 responded:
I had to have my esophagus stretched because I felt like I could never take a deep breath like yawning. I had to stop and force myself to take deep breaths. I also regergitated food for 4 days....food wouldn't all go all the way down. So far the stretching has helped but it is not a permanent fix.....antacids for life, I am afraid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Beth Anderson. This is a photo of my with my daughter Katie who was born in 1990. Her GERD was diagnosed when she was three days old. Mine...More

Helpful Tips

H-Pylori causing Gerd symptoms!
Everyone who has GERD symptoms should be tested for H-Pylori. H-Pylori is a bacteria that grows in an acid stomach. I suffered for 10 years ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.