Skip to content
gerd and anti acid meds
genaalv posted:
I have been on Prilosec and Ranitidine for 10 years now. I take my meds as directed every day. I am still having major chest pain, doesn't seem to matter what i eat or drink. I am wondering if Prilosec or Ranitidine has like stopped working?? Don't have insurance or i would go to the drs for this immediately!!

calgal37 responded:
The prilosec and histamine blocker may still be functioning, but it's possible the reflux issues may have progressed if you're currently having major chest pain. You say you're 'still' having major chest pain..............did it just start again and continue? Or have you had this problem all the way along?

Did the doc scope you early in the course of this problem? If so, what was found?

Have you been following a GERD-friendly diet all along the way?

If the pain you're currently experiencing really is major, you may not have much choice in whether or not you need to be seen by a medical professional. Major chest pain could signal the presence of progression of the reflux issues and/or esophageal spasms. If spasms are present. they're not easily tamped down without specific prescriptions. And if Barrrett's esophagus is present, you need to know how extensive it is and do all possible to keep it from progressing, which can mean changing meds or changing dosage of medication.

Check to see if your local hospital has any programs for those without insurance.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

ACIDIC STOMACH/DYSPEPSIA/HYPER ACIDITY/STOMACH PROBLEMS
I have resolved this complex issue. please read here: ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.