Skip to content
17 yr old bleeding from bowels, can barely eat, nausea, abdominal pain
maryalice40 posted:
My daughter has chronic abdominal pain and nausea. Recently she started bleeding from her bowels and went several days without being able to eat anything. Lately, her attempts to eat have failed, and after a bite or two, she has to throw her food away. She's lost about 10 lbs of weight.

When she doesn't eat, she gets lightheaded. She's been keeping a headache lately, along with a host of other symptoms which are making me think she might have hypoglycemia.

She's refusing medical treatment, though I have given my consent to the doctor to do what is necessary to help her, which is nothing, because she says as long as my daughter refuses, she can't do anything, but my daughter is only 17 yrs old, she is still underage, so is the doctor legally in the wrong by refusing to do anything? In the case of a minor, is it not the parent's choice to consent to the child's medical treatment?

This would be no big deal if my daughter wasn't at risk of any harm by refusing blood work and tests, but that isn't the case.

Her doctor said she could have a bowel blockage and an ulcer, yet sends her home without doing anything.

The ER did the same thing when it was in question if her appendix was inflamed because she didn't want the IV needle.

I am at a loss on what to do.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.