Skip to content
What to eat, what not to eat....GERD/Acid Reflux
scribL posted:
Roughly 9-10 months ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux. Funny thing is, I rarely (if ever) actually have heart burn.. I went into the doctor (ENT) initially because my throat hurt...a lot. It felt like my throat was swelling up, it burned... just bad news all around. I did, however, smoke at the time...

Anyways, my doctor diagnosed me, and I was on my way... having absolutely no idea how crucial my diet was in fixing this problem (needless to say, I didn't return back to the doctor that forgot to mention I should change my diet). So a few months pass, I quit smoking... and for the most part my throat felt completely fine. After another couple months, however, it came back...hard. It was horrible. Looking back at it, it makes complete and utter sense. I was drinking orange juice every day, various fruits, drinking alcohol... Not good. It was at that time I went to my regular physician. Thankfully she has a brain and actually went into detail about GERD and what I should avoid (food and drink wise).

And that brings us to the present... Since seeing my (good) doctor, I have gone through various episodes of acid reflux... like I said before, however, never once have I actually experienced any sort of heartburn... only my throat. Within the last week (since the latest episode) I have gotten super hardcore about my diet... (researching etc...). But all that researching still leaves me with various questions. The first being:

What should I mainly be avoiding in foods? From what I've read, fatty foods are obviously the number one thing... as it requires more acid (I believe) to break down the fat, thus increasing the risk of an acid reflux attack.

But is that it? I mean, is that the main thing I should be looking out for? I went to the grocery store today and bought a tub of this dried ginger with added cane sugar. I've received mixed feedback on whether or not ginger is ok to eat, and I have no idea about cane sugar. I'm completely aware this all varies from person to person, and it's best to do a little "trial and error" to figure out what works best...

The only thing is how much I absolutely cannot stand not being able to talk (which is ultimately what happens after my throat as been 'destroyed' by a GERD "attack"). Especially considering I just started back up in class, and not being able to speak is really not something I can afford right now. I'm basically just looking for the best diet, with as little risk as possible.

If anyone can give any suggestions that would be great... I'm not looking for an "end all / fix all" answer.. just a little something to help me make some sense of this disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (it's awful). Thanks in advance!

calgal37 responded:
There's a decent suggested list of things to avoid/eat at www.gicare.com under the diets/GERD section.

As far as ginger goes, many find that getting fresh ginger, taking part of it and boiling it in water to make a tea for drinking can be helpful. The ginger you got sounds like the dried variety that is used for baking into cookies, etc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm currently having very scary symptoms and I'm hopnestly frustrated. I have always been asthmatic but since October, I have been experiencin...More

Helpful Tips

ACIDIC STOMACH/DYSPEPSIA/HYPER ACIDITY/STOMACH PROBLEMS
I have resolved this complex issue. please read here: ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.