Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    pressure in upper chest
    An_247423 posted:
    I haven't officially been diagnosed with GERD but while I was pregnant went to the ER with chest pains. Everything was checked out (chest xray, CT, leg dopplars etc) and at the end he said it was probably GERD. I am now 3 months post-partum and experiencing this weird pressure in my upper chest. Like a fullness, or that my stomach is too high in my chest (if that makes any sense!). If I wasn't really focussing on it, I'd say it feels like my breathing was not right too. But when I burp, I have acid or if I bend over sometimes I have acid taste in my mouth. Was wondering if meds (breastfeeding compatible) would make this sensation go away. It is making me quite anxious.

    1. can you have this without the burn?
    2. can it give you a weird sensation in your chest?
    3. or, like your throat is tighter or there is a lump deep down?

    thank you!
    calgal37 responded:
    Many people don't have the 'standard' symptom of burning, so yes, it's possible.

    Many 'chest-related' sensations can be attributed to GERD. All the way from feelings of pressure to miserable spasms of the esophagus that feel like a person is having a heart attack.

    If the lump in felt in the throat, it's typically related to the lower esophageal sphincter area being 'irritated' due to the presence of acid (or bile) issues. It's called 'globus' and is well-known to those with GERD.

    It might ge a good diea to check with your doc and find out what changes you can make in diet and lifestyle, and perhaps discuss some medications to bring things into line.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

    Helpful Tips

    Try Natural options
    Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.