Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pressure in upper chest
An_247423 posted:
I haven't officially been diagnosed with GERD but while I was pregnant went to the ER with chest pains. Everything was checked out (chest xray, CT, leg dopplars etc) and at the end he said it was probably GERD. I am now 3 months post-partum and experiencing this weird pressure in my upper chest. Like a fullness, or that my stomach is too high in my chest (if that makes any sense!). If I wasn't really focussing on it, I'd say it feels like my breathing was not right too. But when I burp, I have acid or if I bend over sometimes I have acid taste in my mouth. Was wondering if meds (breastfeeding compatible) would make this sensation go away. It is making me quite anxious.

1. can you have this without the burn?
2. can it give you a weird sensation in your chest?
3. or, like your throat is tighter or there is a lump deep down?

thank you!

calgal37 responded:
Many people don't have the 'standard' symptom of burning, so yes, it's possible.

Many 'chest-related' sensations can be attributed to GERD. All the way from feelings of pressure to miserable spasms of the esophagus that feel like a person is having a heart attack.

If the lump in felt in the throat, it's typically related to the lower esophageal sphincter area being 'irritated' due to the presence of acid (or bile) issues. It's called 'globus' and is well-known to those with GERD.

It might ge a good diea to check with your doc and find out what changes you can make in diet and lifestyle, and perhaps discuss some medications to bring things into line.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

ACIDIC STOMACH/DYSPEPSIA/HYPER ACIDITY/STOMACH PROBLEMS
I have resolved this complex issue. please read here: ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.