Skip to content
Gerd & Exercising
healthdude4 posted:
First off, I'm 22 years old (male) and I workout regularly. I recently decided to start jogging, very light, just enough to get the heart pumping. This basically turned out to be an impossible task, from all the fluid building up in my throat.

I have to spit this fluid out on a regular basis during the day, like every 1-2 minutes. It built up so fast from jogging that I couldn't even make it to the end of the street without spitting it up. By the time I finished my little quarter mile back to the house, I just about fell to my knees, bent over and spit up a strand of fluid that was so thick and stringy I could barely cut it away from my mouth. It must of been 3-4ft in length. The grossest thing I have ever seen.

I'm currently taking meds for acid reflux, although it helps, the fluid is still a constant issue. It hurts my throat in the mornings when I wake up and my voice is really hoarse too. I've tried not eating 2hrs before bedtime, and elevating my head at night. It seems to help.

Occasionally I have these burning sensations in my back...started out in the chest awhile back. I was driving home when it suddenly became painful to breathe. Went to the er and took xrays. They said it was just inflammation in the rib cartilage. I was wondering now if the burning came from the acid reflux.

Is it typical for reflux sufferers to have trouble exercising? Also, I'd like to find out if Gerd can cause a distinct body odor in some people.

walt519 responded:
I'm a 70 year old male. Never had these problems until last year or so. I also talk with a raspy voice, have an irritated throat, and a bad taste in my mouth in the morning.
Recently, Dr. has me on Prilosec, but no help. Yesterday he told me to go to 2 per day. I also have coughing spasms in the night, but I'm fine during the day. I recently started trying the "GERD diet" and eating my big meal at lunch and very little in the evening. I have lost 10 lbs due to changed eating habits and this is a good side effect of the diet change.
Next, I am going to try raising the head of the bed by 6 inches. Using extra pillows does not work. To get any sleep at night I am taking the Prilosec 1 hr before the noon meal an just before going to bed I take one "TUMS" tablet. This kills the cough for most of the night as long I have my head elevated. Dr. says Prilosec & TUMS combo may be a good idea.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 years old and natural health enthusiasts. Enjoy learning new stuffs and share with people. My website :

Helpful Tips

After over ten years GERD is gone, here's how
I have been worried about being on Prilosec for over 10 years with all the bad things I hear about it. I wanted to try weaning off of it ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.