Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reflux asphyxiation
Songbird_321 posted:
Every so ofter I have acid reflux while sleeping. I do sleep elevated at times but it still happens. Sometimes I asphyxiate the stomach acid into my wind pipe which then cuts off my breathing for several seconds. This last episode was bad and lasted longer. Now I have a rattle when I breath and my chest and back hurt. Hard to take a deep breath and when I do I start coughing which increases the pain. Is this something that will go away or do I need medical attention?

calgal37 responded:
Songbird, you need to see your doc. Your probably 'high refluxing' and you could be 'breathing in' small particles of acid which is going to cause problems with your lungs. Get it checked out.

And make sure you're following a GERD-friendly diet in addition to any meds your doc may consider appropriate.

SD111 responded:
Ensure that you do not eat within 2 hours of sleep. Don't raise your head with a pillow - it must be done by raising the head of you bed (bricks under bed legs). Make sure you eat smaller meals. If all else fails get to the doctor for medication. Don't risk your lungs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

Answer to Burping Belching , acid, anxiety, gasping for air
I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.