Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post Nissenn Fundoplication surgery/Severe GERD
juliansmama07 posted:
Hello I am a 25 year old female who has suffered from upper abdomen pain, constant nausea and severe reflux for 6 years this coming august. Over the last 5 years I have seen 3 family practice physicians, gone through 5 different gastro doctors and probably 100 + tests to figure out what is causing my pain. I also had my gallbladder removed when the doctor thought that may be the cause but post op my symptoms worsened. After In February 2013 I had my 5th egd and was again told I had a hiatal hernia as well as my esophageal sphincter was very wide and not working right. On April 25th I went into surgery for a Nissen Fundoplication ( which is the GERD surgery) and to fix my hernia. I felt some relief for the first week post op and was healing well but the next week out of nowhere all my previous symptoms were back. I had to take a leave from work due to my inability to do anything from the nausea. Today I had a follow up EGD per my surgeon and they dilated my esophagus with a balloon hoping it will help. I'm sitting here tonight praying that 1 of 2 things happen, 1 I wake up tomorrow or in a few days and feel better than I have in a long time and am able to eat or they put another option on the table for me because I am fed up. Has anyone else had a similar experience post nissen fundoplication surgery? or anyone have any suggestions?

calgal37 responded:
Julianmama07, I don't have acid reflux, but I'd like to make a suggestion based on seeing a number of individuals with similar conditions. Although it's not widely understood or investigated, there are more and more individuals who experience food intolerances that present exactly like severe acid reflux. In the medical setting I'm in, we're currently seeing several individuals with just that miserable finding. One lady had her gallbladder out 7 years ago and has been throwing up almost every day since then. Since figuring out which food groups are literally 'killing' her and cleaning up her diet, she's been symptom free - almost - for the last 5 weeks. I say almost because I saw her yesterday and she said she forgot and had 3 small squares of chocolate with dairy and 2 hours later was throwing up again. It was the dairy that 'did her in.' And yes, 3 small squares caused it. With food allergies it's not the amount you eat, even a 'speck' can cause problems.

Not everyone has the problem, but we're finding that more people than we expect have food issues. Yes, it can be difficult to substitute for the food you love, but if it's part of your problem when you find out how much better you feel, most say it's more than worth it.

Consider checking it out. And if you decide to go the testing route, find a good doc with some knowledge of the problem. Most docs don't have a clue, and GI docs can be the worst.

rcarter replied to calgal37's response:
I completely agreed with what CalGal is saying. After going vegan (had two different non-vegan doctors suggest it) it has helped a lot!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Beth Anderson. This is a photo of my with my daughter Katie who was born in 1990. Her GERD was diagnosed when she was three days old. Mine...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.