Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any Advice for a Silent Reflux Sufferer
southcarolina_kitty posted:
I've been suffering from painful coughing and gagging for the past two years. It was orginally diagnosed as severe allergies. Within the last year, it's become worse and I have had trouble breathing. It feels like my throat is swollen or constricted at times. I've now (within the two weeks) been diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux). I've started taking the proper medicines (Prevacid), but my throat still feels constricted, so much so, that I'm on a liquid diet. Is there anything that can be taken to reduce the swelling or the feeling of constriction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SD111 responded:
You should inform your doc. You will probably need testing to see why your swallowing isn't working properly. (Barium swallow with xray) Also docs may have suggestions on what might help. My swallowing issues are not as bad as yours, but seems to stem from reduced salivary fluid rather than swelling.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

Answer to Burping, Acid, gasping for air, can't sleep anxiety etc.
I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.