Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hiatel Hernia
amba35 posted:
I saw the surgeon today and he wants to do a test where I drink something and they watch it. Is that a barium swallow? If so, what is that like? Also, he wants to do another endoscopy on me although I just had one in May. He suspects I might have a hiatel hernia and he says he is going to use a different type of scope to see this and measure it if there is one. I am not sure why the first endoscopy wouldn't show if I had a hernia. Has this ever happened to anyone?

SD111 responded:
Definitely barium swallow. You are probably also getting the marshmallow. It is very simple and not invasive. They are taking Xrays as you swallow. I had one with the automated table and one where I had to roll around on the table. Be sure they book you with an automated table. While the rolling around is pretty funny, I'm not sure they get the most accurate picture.

I can't imagine how the doc missed a possible hiatus hernia on the first go-round. Perhaps the endo didn't go deep enough. I was knocked out for the endo where they found my hiatus hernia, maybe that makes a difference.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm currently having very scary symptoms and I'm hopnestly frustrated. I have always been asthmatic but since October, I have been experiencin...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.