Skip to content
Nissen Fundoplication Surgey TAKE TWO!!!
juliansmama07 posted:
Hello my name is Chloe. I had my FIRST nissen fundoplication surgery ( the surgery to help strengthen the LES) in April 2013. My symptoms previously were gone, I was feeling great other than the expected recuperation. About 3 weeks post op I began having problems eating. Anytime I eat something that is not liquid consistency I would be in severe pain, extremely nauseous, have tons of pressure in my chest and did a lot of dry heaving. I was told today after multiple tests that I need to have the surgery AGAIN. This will be the exact same surgery however this time they will only make a partial wrap. I have a concern because they said my original symptoms may return since it cant be the full wrap but this is the only way to fix my new post operation symptoms. Has anyone had to have the surgery a second time? how did you feel compared to after the first? any input would be appreciated. Thanks

rcarter responded:
Hello Chloe,

I have had two nissen's. I had to have the second surgery as a suture came loose. Recovery from the second surgery was much easier and it mostly took care of the issue of my reflux coming back due to the wrap being too loose. I recently also had a procedure done to stretch out the LES as I was having a hard time getting anything but liquids down (it would take more and an hour to eat a small amount of food). I definitely still have reflux and I take dexilant once a day. I have been told that surgery is the only next step if I go back to having issues getting food down so I am still looking into alternative ways to deal with this. Good luck and please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or if I can help!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Beth Anderson. This is a photo of my with my daughter Katie who was born in 1990. Her GERD was diagnosed when she was three days old. Mine...More

Helpful Tips

Answer to Burping Belching , acid, anxiety, gasping for air
I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.