Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Heartburn(Gerd) or acid reflux
jszaradowski posted:
Is it bad if I have tightness in the chest area after sitting for a long time?I usually feel it in the area just below my breasts. In had real bad chest pain on a Thursday Dec. 2011 and went to doc but sent me to ER spent 5 hours & $3000 only to be prescribed famotidine 20MG for 2 weeks.. I also had IV hydration & antacids put in me. I had IV hydration since I had been sick the three days before with vomiting.

Is it bad if I were to take an antacid daily? Any advice on how to fix this. See a Doc? Just continue occasional antacid use.
I usually notice the pain as well after many days of eating greasy or deep fried foods from work.
Since then I have had to use antacids last July, last January and this june for 3-4 days. to relieve the pain in chest area.

sirving responded:
if u are taking antacid that often then there is probably a more deeper problem there. I did that too, ate tums like candy before being diagnosed with GERDS. yes see a dr. a GI doctor would be a good idea. but if u have good primary dr he can probably get you on the right path. GERDS/ acid reflux are serious problems whether you deal with them medically or holistic is you choice but you really have to find out whats going on. Chest pain is a symptom to it.

tenaliram replied to sirving's response:
In Indian mythology it is said one must take care of all inlets and outlets of body. if any kind of problem is noticed then immediately one should take help of doctor

tenaliram responded:
How often you use antacids. do you think that you have heartburn or hyperacidity, why your doc advised to take antacids.
if it is then first i would like to see your doc report if possible.

tenaliram responded:
Is it possible for you to send (antidiabetic@rediffmail) me scanned copy of your ER with report and prescription of doc. then definitely I will be able to tell you.
I don't think that the tightness in the chest area is a result of sitting for a long time. Either it must be cold atmosphere or when one seat under fan for longer period.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

Try Natural options
Gaviscon really helps me when I am desperate. Tablets, not the mint-flavored liquid! Also, try DGL Tablets and Slippery Elm capsules. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.