Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PPIs making reflux worse?
JDoyle90 posted:
I am a 23 year-old male with no prior health problems. My blood pressure is perfect, I eat a healthy diet, exercise often and do not drink or smoke at all.

Around 5-6 weeks ago I developed an upset stomach (nausea without ever vomiting, stomach pain) which took around two weeks to clear up.

In the following weeks I had intermittent stomach pains, particularly on abdomen below the ribcage and sometimes lower down around the navel. I began to feel sick again and went to see the GP who said it was gastritis and gave me the proton pump inhibitor Omeprazole. Upon taking these I noticed an increase in acid reflux (which is somewhat of a paradox), with a sour taste in my mouth, pain in my throat, etc. I went back to the GP and she said my throat was somewhat inflamed and gave me Lansoprazole to try instead. I have been taking these for a couple of days but am still getting this acid in my throat 9or what I think is acid), causing a phlegm-like sensation, pain and gruffness.

Is there anyway PPIs can paradoxically make acid reflux worse?

360solution responded:
I think your stomach is sensitive to your medication(PPI), therefore you developed reflux symptom and should be treated as soon as possible. Many years ago, I had stomach pain by using baby aspirin for three month. Later also developed acid-reflux symptom with PPI. That was very painful experience. If your condition doesn't get improved by seeing your GP. I may have a alternative way to help you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.