Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Heartburn or Acid Reflux or GERD ???
srfoxymom posted:
I have been experiencing a lot of heartburn lately ... on a regular basis, and thought that that is all it was. But now I'm wondering if it's Acid Reflux. I did have a silent heart attack 2 years ago (with no symptoms other than a little 'shortness of breath'). Did not have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, not overweight, never smoked & not Diabetic. At first I was scared it could be my heart again, and went to the ER. After an ECG, Stress Test & blood work, I was told everything is OK. But this frequent heartburn continues. WHY? Can you be tested for Acid Reflux and get a conclusive answer?

elizabethportman responded:
If I get your question right, there are little differences between Heartburn and GERD.

Heartburn is mainly a symptom and GERD is more severe condition.

In your case, you are facing problem with heartburn, As you don't encounter any problem after having an ECG, you can do the following.

Eat less spicy food, Drink more water.

srfoxymom replied to elizabethportman's response:
Thank you for your response. But how can you be so sure it's hheartburn and not 'acid reflux'? I never eat spicy food; actually hate it. Maybe drinking more water I could do. But my question is how do you know if you have 'acid reflux'. One of the symptoms is 'heartburn'. I just recently saw my GP and she said ... yes, it probably is 'acid reflux' and gave me a prescription. Is there NO TEST? Is there NO way of finding out if it IS 'acid reflux' or just a bad case of recurring 'heartburn'? Don't want to take medication if it's not necessary ... but if it is, then I certainly would. Any answers out there?

stellagonzalez responded:
Wanna say try using a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, eating a slice of apple helps too to get relief from Gerd.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old. This past Monday (10/4/2010) was the first time I have experienced upper abdominal pain at night. It seems to be worse at nigh...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.