Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Woke up in middle of night with knot in throat
An_255309 posted:
Hello everyone,

This has happened to me other times before, but not in a while. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a huge lump/knot in my throat almost as if I was swallowing something in my sleep! I'm breathing fine and drinking fine. There's not really any foreign objects surrounding my bed that I think I would've mistakenly put in my mouth in my sleep. But I literally felt as though I could've been swallowing a foreign object, that's how big the knot felt. I'm wondering what this may be? Like I said, this has happened to be before. Upon awakening this morning, I have a bit of tightness in my throat area, right where my Adam's apple is located. I'm burping a lot, and have a bit of am upset stomach in my upper abdominal area, like I would if my acid reflux was acting up. I have dealt with GERD before, so I'm wondering if that's what caused this night episode? I'm wondering if in my sleep I regurgitated something because of my acid reflux and was choking on it. I haven't been eating very healthy at all the last 2 days, so that wouldn't surprise me. If you have any knowledge on this subject, please help!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

H-Pylori causing Gerd symptoms!
Everyone who has GERD symptoms should be tested for H-Pylori. H-Pylori is a bacteria that grows in an acid stomach. I suffered for 10 years ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.