Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying aloe juice??
smokelover14 posted:
Hi!
I am new here and hoping for some help. I want to be able to stop taking Prilosec for acid reflux and have been doing a bit of research into this. I just ordered some herbal products that I want to try and was just wondering if any of you have tried these and had any luck?
I ordered Lilly of the Desert Aloe herbal stomach formula and DGL (in german chocolate flavor). These have gotten generally good reviews and i just want to try something to get off the Prilosec.
However, now I am reading something about the aloe juice possibly causing diarrhea? Have any of you tried this and have you had any adverse side effects?? I do worry about the diarrhea because I deliver mail and don't have access to bathrooms for most of the route!
I would appreciate any insight you can offer! Thanks so much!

alliss responded:
Stopped Protonix (like Prilosec, a PPI) about six months ago, so far successfully. Not familiar with aloe juice. Herbal supplements can cause adverse effects the same as prescription drugs can. And latter aren't regulated, so no requirement that those effects be listed. You mention DGL, which I think is licorice extract; I took a DGL tablet, for awhile, with one or two meals; unsure if it did anything useful or not.

There is generally a period of acid rebound after stopping a PPI, during which the reflux will seem worse. It was recommended by my GI dr. to taper off the PPI. First, cut dose in half; you can use a pill-cutter or just buy half-strength. Take half-dose for about a week. Then start taking the half-dose on alternate days only. Supplement with an H2 blocker, e.g., Zantac, as needed, though not at same time as PPI. If you take PPI in a.m., take Zantac before bed. After perhaps another week, stop PPI altogether. Take the Zantac for another week or two as needed; try to taper off that as well. I find GERD relief from chewing gum; however, avoid the type of sugarless gum that has mannitol, as that can cause diarrhea. Look for SPRY or EPIC gum in health-food store. I also eat a small piece of crystallized ginger once or twice a day after meals.

alliss replied to alliss's response:
Made an error in my post above. Meant to say that herbals aren't regulated, but instead said "latter" aren't, which erroneously seems to refer to Rx drugs.

smokelover14 replied to alliss's response:
Thanks for your information! I can't cut my Prilosec in half because it is a capsule. I may try taking it every other day for awhile and then maybe every 3 days, ect... I may also try the crystallized ginger. I already take ginger capsules for nausea and car sickness. I can't take both Prilosec and Zantac...when i take both, I get diarrhea. Apparently I have a sensitive intestinal system, because I seem to respond to many drugs with diarrhea!
Thanks again for your help! Do you watch what you eat? I am trying to do some research but find different answers everywhere. It's very confusing and I wish I could find ONE thing that would help me know what I should eat!

panamabri responded:
I have been a sufferer of mild to moderate GERD for about 2 years. Started with the OTC meds (Fomatidine then Prilosec). Thing is that I started getting tinnitus, which may relate to the Prilosec. Anyway, started to search for natural remedy and was told about ginger. About a month ago I started eating pickled ginger (you know..the sushi condiment)...a forkful in the am and a forkful before going to bed. This has been really amazing to me as the pain has gone and I am not suffering from heartburn. If I do eat/drink something during the day that causes heartburn, a quick fork of the pickled ginger works.

I know this sounds weird, but it works for me. Anyway, if you can't find it in a jar in the foreign foods section of your grocery store, then go and find a restaurant supply store...one that services the sushi restaurants.

klinks responded:
I have been using the organic Lilly of the Dessert Aloe juice plain no flavoring from Vitacost for well over a year now. I only use about 2 tablespoonfuls mixed with some apple juice every morning. I also drink fresh ginger tea all day long. I no longer take PPIs and very rarely have acid reflux. On the occasion that I do which is very rare now and only when I am indulgent with eating greasy and spicy food, I take TUMs. It is best to take organic aloe juice because additives and flavorings could cause reactions. That is why I flavor mine with organic pure apple juice to give it some flavor. I also sometimes eat crystallized ginger after dinner when I get a chance. Avoid caffeine and licorice extracts because these contribute to GERD. Ginger has been widely used in Asia for a long time to calm the stomach and help with nausea. I have been very happy with using aloe juice and ginger and have not had any side effects.

smokelover14 replied to klinks's response:
Thanks for the replies! I am curious about the ginger and may try both the pickled and the crystallized. I do take ginger capsules every day for nausea - especially when driving, as they do help with car sickness. But I am assuming the capsules won't help with GERD? As for the Aloe Juice - unfortunately I bought the Mint flavor. I have not tried it yet and am wondering now what to drink it with! Not so sure the mint will go well with apple juice! I'll have to do some experimenting when I decide to go ahead and try it! I have been having some intestinal issues lately and am worried about trying the aloe juice in case it will cause diarrhea. (I am already having some trouble with that!) Hopefully these intestinal issues will clear up so I can finally try the aloe juice.

klinks replied to klinks's response:
Try adding a little honey and some water to the aloe with mint so you can drink it.

mircat360 replied to alliss's response:
Thank you Alliss! So helpful, and a comfort to know someone else successfully got off her PPI. I'm just starting and the acid backlash is awful. Will try your advice, thanks again.

mircat360 replied to panamabri's response:
Thank you panamabri, I can't wait to try the pickled ginger. A holistic doc just told me all fermented veggies are great for acid. So counter-intuitive, but sounds like they work!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm a 24 year old female with Interstitial Cystitis, for which I have an InterStim Unit. I was diagnosed in November of 2008 after having 3 su...More

Helpful Tips

How I relieved my Chest Pain (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
For those who don't want to read, just scroll all the way down to see how I relieved my severe chest pain. Then, you can read the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.